WOODYNOOK CREATIONS

Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Wild Bird Wednesday

This poor little Mourning dove apparently has come in contact with the Sharp-shinned hawk that has been hanging around. I think that it has been 2 weeks now, and he is still doing OK. Good thing it's winter and cold otherwise the flies would be after this bird.


We took a ride earlier this week, and saw a small flock of Bufflehead ducks. They can swim really fast..



Also found a Cormorant. I only got 2 shots before he flew away.




We had 1 day of sun this week, and now it's yucky again. Slop, snow, rain, and just darn cold to the bone. I will be so glad for Spring!
Click on over to visit Stewart, and see lots more birds. http://paying-ready-attention-gallery.blogspot.com

16 comments:

Ruth Hiebert said...

That Mourning Dove looks in rough shape. Hope he makes it.

Indrani said...

So tragic the first picture. Hope it survives well.

Neil said...

Nice series hope the dove makes it through the winter.

Carletta said...

Oh my - poor little dove! I hope he continues to stay away from the bad ole' hawk.

mick said...

Great photos - I hope the little dove survives.

eileeninmd said...

Poor Dove, I hope it survives. Love the Buffleheads, they are pretty ducks. I also love your header with the Redpolls. Have a happy day!

HansHB said...

Nice to see your post.
Great photos!

Stewart M said...

The dove does look like it needs s bit of TLC!

Funny how you see so few bits showing signs of wear and tear.

Cheers and thanks for linking to WBW

Stewart M - Melbourne

Anni said...

Poor Dove....he seems quite alert tho in the image, hope he can recover.

Anonymous said...

I hate when G-d's creatures suffer like that. Glad he made it, though.

Unknown said...

Great series!! Looks like that mourning dove will be OK. Boom & Gary of the Vermilon River, Canada.

grammie g said...

Hi Becky...It sounds like my weather here today...come on spring : }
Your poor Dove is very lucky to get away from the Hawk!! The Cooper Hawk got on of the doves right of my deck, and proceeded to eat it in a tree near by : (!!
Bufflehead ducks are so showy, and the Cormorant I won't be seeing here for at least another month!
Thanks for sharing your wild birds very nice!!!!
Grace

Anonymous said...

Love your header photo. Poor dove, I hope it will recover. Great photos!

Mary Howell Cromer said...

I am surprised that the Sharp Shinned Hawk would go for a Mourning Dove since they themselves are not much larger than a Blue Jay. It may have been a Coopers Hawk, for they look so much alike. The Mourning Dove is so beautiful and sadly such easy targets. Very nice capture shares~

Mary said...

Poor dove! Actually looks pretty healthy in that photo. Hope it survives. Nice cormorants. I have not been taking photos of anything and the weather is so poor right now.

Cindy said...

Poor little Dove. I hope it will be okay. Nice captures.