WOODYNOOK CREATIONS

Sunday, November 25, 2012

Sunday Morning

It has been a really busy week getting ready for Thanksgiving, so I haven't been taking too many pictures.
We drove by the local Amish school the other day in time to see the children all outside playing.  They play on the swings, play baseball, and mostly just run around.
Still looking for Tundra swans, we took a ride to the peninsula on Lake Erie last week, and I did find 6 that were feeding in the bay waters. I'm still waiting however and keeping my eyes and ears to the sky waiting for that familiar whooo, whooo, whooo as they fly over head. I have my video camera ready to capture that sound that I love to hear.
I was able to find a pair of Mute swans too on the bay. There is a pair that will stay here all winter, and I'm not sure if this is that pair or not.
Driving around on the lake side this is one of the many breakers they have to protect the beaches from the strong winds and crashing waves. On the day we were there I saw 100's of Ringed-billed gulls sitting on the rocks.

On top in the middle of the rocks is this Great black-backed gull. He is so much bigger than all the rest, and from a distance it looks much like a Bald eagle until you zoom in on him. They normally winter farther East than here, so it might just be passing through.
I hope everyone had a wonderful Thanksgiving. We did with our family, and now it's onto Christmas. No shopping on Black Friday for me though. I don't like crazy!!

4 comments:

Ruth Hiebert said...

I guess the Amish children are just like any other children in their play. That Black-backed Gull does look eagle like.

EG CameraGirl said...

Looks like you've had a bit of sunshine. I have never seen a black-backed gull before!

Jori said...

Beautiful photo's! Love your Amish photo's. We have a large community of Amish by us. We go buy veggies from them over the summer. I think they are wonderful people.

Cicero Sings said...

I really would have been fooled into thinking that black-backed gull (I have never seen one) was an eagle if you didn't say anything!