WOODYNOOK CREATIONS

Sunday, September 18, 2011

Saturday

We have 3 apple trees, and the Northern Spy is going to give us lots of apples for pies this winter.
The little grape tomatoes have produced so many goodies this summer despite all the hot and dry weather. They are sooo good.
Even the ever bearing red raspberries and still going strong although the birds have stolen plenty.
The Milkweed Tiger caterpillars are out in full force now. Once again, I have seen very few butterflies this season. There were more early in the summer, but as the hot temperatures took it's toll on all the flowers, the butterflies disappeared.
I did see this Monarch just the other day, but maybe it was migrating through our area.
This is our llama trail, and you can see how overgrown it is. It  needs some help. So much rain now that things are growing really out of control.
Not far from home lives all these Belgian horses. They were kind enough to pose for me on a drive past their pasture.
We've had rain on and off all week, but nothing too bad. Even some sun to help dry everything out. We were predicted a frost a few days ago, and we picked all the remaining tomatoes just in case. The frost didn't happen, but I did can up half of the tomatoes today, and got 10 quarts.
My new chickens are going fine, and I'll try to get pictures tomorrow.

5 comments:

Arija said...

I just love this kind of post where I can get a glimpse into another person's life and surroundings. Great apple tree Becky, can I drop by in the winter for a taste of the pies? I too have ever bearing raspberries that the birds delight in and believe me, these days they are a lot quicker than I am.
10 qts . . .WOW, that should certainly see you through to the next season.

Lovely Belgian horses, they look to be good and sturdy.
We have just bought a Belgian cow with heifer calf who has been exposed to a bull, so here's hoping! They are an old breed and a good deal smaller than our other cows and have quite a long coat and are a reasonably rare breed. we felt we were very lucky to get one.
Lovely, lovely pictures Becky.

Ruth Hiebert said...

THe apples look great and I am sure that winter pie will be delicious.We have had our fist frost,but not too bad.

TexWisGirl said...

the apples and raspberries look so yummy! jealous for your rains, but we did get 1/2 inch this morning! woo hoo! it's a start! now, if we can get 1/2 a foot to really get things going...

Margaret Cloud said...

Becky these are great pictures. The tomatoes look so good and you do get a great crop from them. I have not seen one Monarch this year. I love horses but am afraid of them.

Cicero Sings said...

Somehow I didn't realize what a good size farm you had! We hsven't had a frost yet either but I picked what tomatoes I had (all green our season is so short) and had enough for one batch of green tomato mincemeat. I only had two tomato plants as they grow so poorly here.