WOODYNOOK CREATIONS

Tuesday, January 3, 2012

World Bird Wednesday

                                        Pine Siskin
With winter apparently here to stay (maybe), the locals have come out of the trees in great numbers. We got 12" of snow the past 3 days.. Here are just a few, and they are eating me out of house and home...
Juvenile House Finch.
Below is a lone Double-crested Cormorant we saw last week in the harbor on Lake Erie. Maybe he was doing some preening before his big trip South.
The American Goldfinch is a favorite, and I have lots that hang around all year.
Of course the Sharp-shinned hawk continues to spy on all the birds, but left today with an empty stomach from my yard at least.
Do click on over to http://pineriverreview.blogspot.com to see what a marvelous job Springman has done with this meme.

13 comments:

TexWisGirl said...

nice images! i'm so amazed that the goldfinches stay for the winter there. they don't even stay here in Texas and just pass on through!

Brian King said...

Beautiful colors! I love the hawk, too. Nice job, Becky!

Anonymous said...

I like the Pine Siskin and had to look him up. Come to find out he lives in my area too and likes to hang out with the Goldfinches. I'll have to be on the lookout for them now. Very nice.

mick said...

Beautiful little birds and so nice that they can get a good feed at your place.

eileeninmd said...

Great yard birds. Even the hawk is cool, he can go else where to eat right. Just not in your yard.

Modesto Viegas said...

Good series!!!

Kerri Farley said...

These are SUPER!!!

holdingmoments said...

Fantastic shots Becky.
12 inches of snow? That's a lot!
None here yet. :-)

Pat Ulrich said...

Lovely shots -- I really love that house finch!

joo said...

I love them all:)
Superb post!

Mary said...

Wow..great hawk shots! What a header! That goldfinch is so sweet looking. I just love them. I've got several hanging around...they are little eating machines. They just start chowing down on seeds and don't let anything around them interfere...except maybe your hawk :-)

Arija said...

Scary to see a predator checking out the menu when there are so many beautiful little sandwiches on the wing around. The hawk is a beautiful bird too and has to eat but . . .

Springman said...

Great shots! What a wonderful collection.
Ok, I understand your connection to the Steelers now, but oh, what do you do with all those championship rings?
Happy New Year!!!