WOODYNOOK CREATIONS

Sunday, October 16, 2011

Another Rainy Day!

It rained all day yesterday, and we got a total of 2.5" and the wind was so strong. We have a large Norway maple tree in our front yard, and it sheds all the time. With high winds we have more branches than ever down and will use them in the wood stove. This Rose is one of the last and has a wonderful scent.
We have several Sumac trees on our property, and it seems they all have different colored leaves. They remind me of clothes hanging on the line..
I don't know what this leaf is from, but I love the colors of green, purple, and pink.
I have posted these each Fall, but for those of you who don't know what this is, it is the Wild Cucumber. It really looks nothing like a cucumber, but is about the size of a small Kiwi fruit. The spines are a bit prickly too, and it grows on a trailing vine up and over bushes, and right up the side of trees..
When it dries you can see inside. and will find 4 equal compartments each with a seed about the size of watermelon seeds. Kind of a cool plant. One time I saved a bunch of the dried pods and decorated along with some other dried seed pods, a small artificial tree for Fall.
Have a wonderful Sunday everyone.

4 comments:

Jan n Jer said...

Gorgeous Rose...going out in all it's glory!!! We are drying out after several days of rain...next weekend we are peak for our fall colors...I hope to capture some of natures beauty. The wild cuke is very interesting...the last shot looks like it's smiling at you!

TexWisGirl said...

oh, i wish i could steal your rain (which i'm sure you'd be happy to give away a bit at this point!) we had those wild cucumbers in wisconsin too. thanks for that memory!

Ruth Hiebert said...

Beautiful rose. I had never thought of Sumac as clothes drying on a line,but that is exactly what they look like.

Ann, Chen Jie Xue 陈洁雪 said...

so the wild cucumber is just for decoration and not for eating?