WOODYNOOK CREATIONS

Sunday, December 18, 2011

Snowy Sunday

Back at Lake Erie this week, the huge group of Bonaparte's gulls, and Red-breasted Mergansers are still there where the fishing must be abundant yet. Here is a juvenile Red-breasted Merganser drake. I really like his colors.
A shot from farther away shows just how many can fit in this frame. There must be over 1000 birds in this small harbor.
Back at home, we have as of 11:00 this morning 4" of snow and mounting. Some of the winter birds have arrived like this Slate-colored Junco aka Snowbirds.
Also showing up is this cute little Carolina Wren. I'm so glad to have more birds.
These Goldfinches were here yesterday too. Gone is their beautiful golden color, but they are still most welcome. I hadn't seen them for a couple months, but probably they'll remain for the winter now.
Last but not least one of my favorites and loyal "patrons", the Downey woodpecker. I have several pair, and they bring the kids during the summer too.
OK, that's all for today. The hawk must be around someplace. All the birds except 2 have left the scene, and the remaining ones have frozen in time.

6 comments:

Ruth Hiebert said...

Send some of that snow my way,I'm waiting for some. OK,I may be the only one waiting for snow,but that is just how I am. Love to see all those birds,wow.

Margaret Cloud said...

I love your header, so very cute. I haven't been down to Lake Michigan lately, but I am sure the Sea Gulls and ducks are in the channel that flows into the lake are there, everyone feeds them. Nice pictures. Hope you have a nice Christmas.

theconstantwalker said...

Wonderful images to see...
It's freezing here.

Laura Delegal - Leroy Photography said...

Beautiful all. I keep waiting for rhe goldfinches to make their way here. I'm doing all I can to get rid of the European sparrows, but they won't leave. I'm hopeful the goldfinches will stay nonetheless.

TexWisGirl said...

love to see your backyard birds! and the shot of the gulls all packed in to one spot is great!!!

Janis said...

Please keep the snow up your way! Great shots of the birds...your header is cute too!