WOODYNOOK CREATIONS

Sunday, December 4, 2011

Sunday

I don't have much to add for today. Just some shots from around home.
Mrs. Cardinal paid my feeders a visit and she and the Mr. show up mostly at dusk. I've had a Sharp-shinned hawk spying on the birds this week. I'll post pictures on World Bird Wednesday.
One of my laying hens persists on trying to fly out of the pen, so now she has had her wings clipped, and will be staying home. All my chickens are free range, but pastured to keep them safe from predators. They don't need to be running around out of their pen. We have Raccoons, skunks, occasional loose dogs, eagles, hawks, and I even saw a mink one day a few years ago. All of these would love a nice chicken dinner!
Here is one of the girls hard at work. She is a Golden-laced Wyandotte. A truly beautiful hen. This is her first year to give us eggs, and she is doing a fine job. I have 3 of these hens.
I love red berries, and am always looking for any to photograph. I have no idea what these are.
Here are some interesting seeds from something I found on one of our nature trails. They are really fuzzy.
A beautiful day today, but cool. We are sneaking along through December, but there is that white stuff forecast for next week :~(

5 comments:

Arija said...

What a lovely working hen!, and Mrs. Cardinal is a joy to have around. There is so much beauty around you still and even when the snows come, the birds will also come and maybe the berries will be bright against the whiteness.

Ruth Hiebert said...

That laying hen is so pretty.I don't think I have ever seen one in those colours.Mom had chicken when I was growing up,but usually white ones,except for the Bantams we had.

TexWisGirl said...

wow, that hen is gorgeous! :) i really love your header photo too. that huge old downed tree is lovely!

Mary said...

That Wyandotte has beautiful feathers!

Cicero Sings said...

Mrs Goldenlace is beeeaaautiful. What an interesting nest set up!