WOODYNOOK CREATIONS

Monday, December 8, 2008

Good Monday morning everybody. We woke up Sunday to blizzard conditions. High winds and additional 10.5" of new snow bringing the season total to 81.5". Now, not all this is on the ground. We have had some melting, but there is over 2 feet in many places. This little Junco braving the cold huddles in a tree.
I finally got a couple pictures of a female Red-bellied woodpecker. She was pretty skittish, and didn't hang around very long.


I guess she's been here long enough and takes off. Probably scared off by the Blue Jays all trying to eat at the same time.
Two Junco's take their turn at the peanut butter.

This male Cardinal was waiting his turn too.
Not a very good day for picture taking. We had plenty of white-outs too.
This morning our oldest granddaughter Becca, playing with her sister, fell at her house and sustained a 1" laceration to the bridge of her nose. Since her Mom had an oven full of cookies and her younger sister at home, her Dad and I took her to the ER. The roads were terrible, and some looked like they hadn't been plowed in hours.
They put in 4 stitches, and we were back home about 1 1/2 hours later. A record time I might add. Of course there wasn't any other patients in the ER either. That made a difference. Tonight she has a bit of a headache, but is doing OK.
OK, I'll let you go. I'm writing this Sunday night. The skies have cleared some, the wind has let up, and it isn't snowing, but the temperature is 8º. That's up from 4º about 2 hours ago.
Have a warm night.

8 comments:

SAPhotographs (Joan) said...

It always amazes me to see birds and animals going about their usual business when it is snowing like this. Somehow I have it in my mind that they should also be cuddled up somwhere safe and warm. LOL!! Dumb isn't t?? LOL!! I know I would be!! :)

Jan said...

Beautiful photos of the birds, I'm so glad you regularly share them. Glad Becca is doing OK. Fortunate you were able to safely take her to the ER.

Ruth's Photo Blog said...

Hopr Becca is doing alright.I love the snow ,wish we had more in our area,but winter has only begun.Great shot of the Red-bellied Woodpecker in flight.
Blessings,Ruth

EG CameraGirl said...

OH MY! you did get dumped on, didn't you? Please do NOT send any of that weather my way. ;-)

Becky said...

Thanks everybody.
Becca stayed home from school today, and is doing fine.
I've decided not to mail any snow to anyone, so you can all relax. LOL Can you believe it no snow today, BUT maybe freezing rain tomorrow. Always something to keep us on our toes...
B.

Anonymous said...

Becky, my husband keeps questioning where our snow is, and I keep telling him it's all over your way! We still have none to speak of.

Glad your granddaughter is okay. Those things are always a scare till taken care of, and you had the bad roads to worry about too.

Nice photo of the woodpecker taking flight!

Mary said...

I certainly don't know why you would say these Red-Bellied photos aren't good! Wow...I love the one flying away. I always miss those shots. So sorry about Becca's injury and am glad that you were able to get to the ER ok! Times like that I do not want snow for sure!

Kerri Farley said...

Sorry about your granddaughter! Kids usually bounce right back from those kinds of things....not like us older kids!

I LOVE LOVE LOVE the shot of the woodpecker in flight! What a fabulous shot!