WOODYNOOK CREATIONS

Thursday, March 11, 2010

Spring IS coming!

We've had a marvelous 6 days in a row of sunshine! It didn't get very warm, usually 45º - 50º, but the sun is glorious and some of the snow is melting which is good. We are supposed to get rain by Friday and that could bring on some flooding. In places out back of our house the snow is still over 2 ft. deep! During the night the temperatures dip to the single digits. 6º on Tuesday morning! That makes for some interesting ice formations on puddles and makes for great maple sap flow.. An article in the local newspaper mentioned there had been a sighting in the channel between Lake Erie, and the "Bay" of a Harlequin duck. We drove down there Tuesday afternoon to see for ourselves. I couldn't find any but I did see some Common Goldeneyes. A new sighting for me.
There were lots of Canvasbacks too
. Another new sighting for me.



No Harlequin ducks seen that day, but on the way home I saw that same Eagle in the same tree.
Sitting right there where he has been before. This time I did notice a dead deer along side the road. Maybe a food source for this Eagle.

Just down the road from the Eagle across the road comes this stumbling Oppossum. Now I really like all animals, BUT I really don't care much for possums! I did stop the van though and we watched as he barely got across the road.
I could see why he was having trouble making his way across the highway. He appears to have lost a back foot. He also looked so dirty and scrungy. I think he was old, and maybe had been holed up for the winter. He was headed for a drink in a mud puddle.

Here is an Amish sawmill. Most of them around us are doing pretty good, but when the lumber ( trees) runs out these nomads will move on to where they can find more work. The families that don't work in the mills will most likely stay put.

OK, enough for today. Wednesday was another beautiful day and we went back to the Bay and to the Erie Peninsula for more pictures where I saw my first Tundra swans of this season . I'll be posting them on Saturday along with more ducks.
We saw lots and lots of Robins today too.

7 comments:

Guy D said...

These are fantastic, I too cannot wait for spring.

All the best
Guy
Regina In Pictures

Arija said...

Becky what a lot of interesting info your post provides. Love the shots of the old and weary opossum, poor old fellow.
We have been enjoying fresh maple sugar candies that we ordered from Vermont for a whole month now. I really feel deprived without them and last year we ordered too late and they were sold out, so no maple sugar candies for Christmas. I was not about to have that again, so as soon as I felt they had started sugaring off, we put in our order. Isn't it odd to have withdrawal symptoms for maple sugar candy...I think I'll order another box of 200!
My children and grandchildren are addicted too.

Ruth's Photo Blog said...

Sure signs of spring.I like that ice,looks like a skirt.Send those ducks our way soon,I miss them. :-)
Blessings,Ruth

Cicero Sings said...

I'm not too big on possums either. We don't seem to have any up here (coons either) but there were LOTS of them at the coast ... where there were lots of chicken barns. All too often ... road kill.

Mary said...

It is no wonder there are so many dead possums in the road...so slow as the amble across. Love the duck shots! I can't get over how close you can get to that eagle....lucky you! We hit the 60's this week and now the rain is coming. Better than snow!

EG CameraGirl said...

Your weather sounds a lot like mine. We will get rain tonight and tomorrow and then a bit for the next few days. I hope it will wash away most or all of the dirty snow.

Opossums are ugly critters, aren't they? But I do feel sorry it has lost part of its foot.

me ann my camera said...

Wow! What a wonderful eyefull of ducks and geese. We don't have swans here. Goldeneye is usually thge first ducks I see each spring,I love their golden eyes! but no sightings of any this year yet. The poor opposum! We don't have them here. It perhaps has endured a hard winter. The ice in the puddle is beautiful! A lovely reflection! Have a great day. I hope your sump pump doesn't get too busy!