WOODYNOOK CREATIONS

Sunday, December 28, 2008

UP-DATE ON HIGH WATER

An up-date on the high water situation. I was up 3 times in the night 1:30, 3:30, to check on the status of our sump pump, and then I got up at 5:30. I did "sleep" in my recliner chair where I could hear the sump pump running. If it had quit our basement would have begun to flood before we could have gotten the generator hooked up.
I went down to the creek edge about 11:30 PM and put this pine branch where the water edge was. By 3:30AM you can see the water has already started to recede. The entrance to two of the trails. No walking here today.
Also this was the sky around 7:00AM. Hmm, more rain?

Sure enough about an hour later, a downpour! Only lasted 20 minutes though. The wind is very high!
It's hard to tell where the creek really is at this point. I took a walk on the llama trail which is high and out of the water.

As I walked along I suddenly saw this huge Beaver. He spied me and quickly swam away. My pictures of him weren't very good. This is the first beaver I've seen in a couple years. They had a dam down on the creek, but that's gone now.

Around 9:30 AM we headed for Wal-Mart and the sky suddenly had big patches of blue. The sun was out for about an hour. These clouds are really different. Still the winds are so high.


Now it's after lunch and the clouds have returned. The sump pump is still perking along, but has slowed which is a good thing. The outside temp. has gone from 59º this morning to 36º With the howling wind we have decided not to fire up the wood stove.
These are some of the fun times we have living here. The good part is the snow has almost left us, but with winter just beginning, there will be more to come before you know it.
Have a great day, I hear a nap calling me!

8 comments:

EG CameraGirl said...

Oh dear! Sorry the river is causing you so much "adventure" at the moment. The water is high here too but not on my property. It sure has been a strange year for weather!

Jan said...

Oh my gosh, fun times, indeed. Hope Mother Nature doesn't pull too many more tricks, this winter.

Anonymous said...

Becky, it sounds like you could use some sleep. We noticed the falls were rushing with water here in our area, and the ground feels like a sponge. The wind really cooled things down too, after a 57 degree start to the day.

Kerri Farley said...

Wow! Kind of a scary situation. Glad the sump pump worked well!!

Michele said...

Gosh, I'm glad the sump pump is working for you ...
I hope you got a good nap in and yes, there still is a lot of winter still to come. After all, it's only the beginning of January.
Hang in there, my friend!
~Michele~

Ruth's Photo Blog said...

Thank goodess for a good pump.Hope things setle down soon.
Blessings,Ruth

SAPhotographs (Joan) said...

I am glad to hear that the water is receding a bit. Catch up on your nap while you can Becky!!

Cicero Sings said...

Hopefully you can sleep through the night tonight! Yes, we could still get a lot more winter yet. I wonder what is in store?!