WOODYNOOK CREATIONS
Sunday, October 11, 2009
Tom Ridge Environmental Center, Presque Isle, Erie, Pa
On Thursday we went to Erie, Penna to the entrance of Presque Isle and visited the Tom Ridge Environmental Center. It's a big learning experience all about Presque Isle. You can see examples how the Peninsula was formed, all the plants and animals that live there, how the weather effects the landscape, and a wonderful map of the numerous ships that have sunk over the years.
Outside is the parking lot and the plants there are native to the Peninsula. I can't tell you how many Monarch Butterflies we saw. Most of them probably were migrating and looked in fairly good condition.
This is the tower that you can ride to the top for a wide look out onto Lake Erie.
A large flock of Canada Geese flew by while we were up there.
A look down at the parking lot.
You can also see the huge roller coaster at Waldameer Park which is next door. This coaster is new, and travels out over the road.
Later we took a drive around the Peninsula. I didn't see it till I uploaded this image, but there is a Monarch under the picnic table. That is Erie in the background. I'll have more shots in a later post.
I hope you all have a wonderful Sunday. It rained here Saturday morning, but the rest of the day was sun and clouds. More sun for today, but much cooler temps, and maybe a freeze Sunday night. Oh how I don't like to hear this yet!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
8 comments:
I love roller coasters and fun fairs. Seem like an interesting day Becky with lots of interest.
You have such interesting spots out your way Becky. We haven't been able to get out and around much this fall what with George's work schedule, so I enjoy checking out your adventures. Sunny, but cool here today.
All of your pictures are wonderful. I just love the butterfly under the table with the seagull on top.
~~ Hugs~~
An interesting place to visit. So did you go ON the roller coaster?
12F here this morning with clear skies.
This seems like an interesting place to visit.The butterflies alone would be wqorth the visit.
Blessings,Ruth
I think the last of the monarchs let my area a few days ago but some may still be hanging out in southern Ontario. We've got millions of geese still here though. Lots more coming your way.
I love Presque Isle. One of my favorite places in the world! Thanks for awakening my memories!
I don't live far from here, maybe a 1 1/2 hour drive inland from Lake Erie. I took my kids to Waldameer this past summer. It's a small world!
Post a Comment