WOODYNOOK CREATIONS

Sunday, May 23, 2010

Of Herons and Swans

A couple good days of photography. I'm posting lots of pictures, and won't take up much space by being too wordy.
We found this Great Blue Heron rookery about 25 miles from home. These nests are about 300 yards from the road and are on private property, so I couldn't get any closer. Also at least 2 of the nests have chicks. I do wonder how all the sticks manage to hold together with all the strong wind we've had lately.







Earlier a friend told us about a family of Mute Swans on a local river near here .
What an awesome opportunity! We don't see Mute Swans in the wild very often..
This is Dad, and he is VERY protective! Someone feeds them and they aren't afraid so I was able to get close as long as I kept an eye on the male.













Time for some preening, and this is Mom.










Couldn't close without showing you a baby Mourning Dove on our deck.
A miserable wet day, but promises of wonderful week coming up.
Have a super Sunday.

10 comments:

SAPhotographs (Joan) said...

I love each and every pic in this one Becky. What wonderful shots but that one with the drop of water at the end of the ducklings beak is the best. Those nests seem a mess dont they and huge too? :)

Buck said...

I came for the Weekend Reflection and stayed for the herons. Wonderful photos!

Cicero Sings said...

Some great shots there Becky. Lovely.

We've had a bit of rain and brrr type temperatures. Looks like a touch of frost on the front garden but not in the back ... the back is more protected. I was expecting it so my tender plants were covered and are still covered. Need to get out there soon.

dot said...

I've never even heard of mute swams much less seen any. They look so pretty and white. The heron nests are fantastic.

Ruth's Photo Blog said...

I enjoyed all the pictures.Those Swans look regal.
Blessings,Ruth

Mary said...

I really love those baby swans! So cute! So soft looking! I don't even get to see adults, let alone babies. Adorable. I would have taken a million photos :-) I can't get over how much thicker your heron nests look than the ones that I'm watching. I posted some photos today. Yours look a lot more substantial!

Mary said...

Another comment...I really like that third from the bottom photo of the parent and the baby cleaning. Lovely!

EG CameraGirl said...

OH MY! You found a blue heron rookery? I am so jealous! That's wonderful.

Wonderful shots!

I was in Rochester this past weekend and could not believe how many swans I saw. But I really need to look them up in my bird books to see which variety.

Margaret Cloud said...

I also love all the pictures on this post. The ducklings are so cute.Those nests don't look too safe.

me ann my camera said...

The babies are all so wonderful! nice pictures. Ann