WOODYNOOK CREATIONS

Sunday, February 20, 2011

Weeks End

Last Thursday morning we got to our train watching spot just in time to see the Amtrak passenger train traveling from Chicago to Buffalo, and New York City race by at 60 miles per hour. These 4 turkeys have been making visits twice a day this winter to eat beneath my feeders.
Finding some open water on Findley Lake, I found a few Mallards that spent the winter.

I'm participating in the Great Backyard Bird Count, and added this male Red bellied woodpecker to my list.


Of course there are always the Downey woodpeckers, and Cardinals.


Yesterday after 2 days of warmer temps, and lots of melting going on the creek behind our house became jammed. The water got very high, and as of today it's still high, and the jam hasn't broken.In this picture the water you see in the foreground is the creek overflow. The main channel is the grey area you see in front of the white hay field in the background. The temps have fallen into the 20's and now this jam won't break till we get warmer weather again.

More birds to add to the GBBC are these Mourning doves.
Have a wonderful and warm Sunday.

5 comments:

Ruth Hiebert said...

Looks like you have more birds to add to the GBBC than I do.I am enjoying watching the birds and seeing just how many I can add to the list.

Margaret Cloud said...

Hope the creek is not too close to your home. I just love the bigger Woodpeckers. Very nice pictures and thank you for coming by.

Sally in WA said...

Great pics, today. I do miss seeing cardinals. We don't have them in the Pacific Northwest.

Mary said...

I have to cross a railroad quite often and always think of you :-) However, the trains aren't ever going at that speed and we mostly sit and wait...but I don't mind. Love all your birds! I finally remembered the count yesterday and counted but didn't take any photos.

EG CameraGirl said...

Your bird photos are always outstanding!