WOODYNOOK CREATIONS

Tuesday, December 13, 2011

World Bird Wednesday

As winter approaches Mr. Cooper's hawk is here again. Yesterday he just sat in the tree soaking up the sun, but today he took a Mourning dove by chasing it into my bay window. I ran outside but the only remains were some feathers laying on the grass . I suppose the dove might have escaped, as I saw the hawk high up in a tree with no kill.
Those beady little eyes are hard to mistake.
Click on over to http://pineriverreview.blogspot.com to see what Springman has to offer.

9 comments:

TexWisGirl said...

thank goodness mourning doves are prolific breeders - between human hunters and hawks, they seem to lose a few bouts...

Arija said...

That's the law of nature, little as we like to see birds killed, all the birds need to eat. We too slaughter many animals and change the name as we bring it to table so we don't think about what we have killed.
I know it would be easier in the eye if raptors only killed vermin but even the smallest mouse has a family and wants to live.

holdingmoments said...

A magnificent looking bird Becky.

Unknown said...

Great captures Becky. Boom & Gary of the Vermilon River, Canada.

Michelle said...

Mourning doves are able to blow some feathers when they are attacked in order to get away..I know he has to eat too...

theconstantwalker said...

A beautiful bird to see Becky.

Springman said...

Great eye catching this action. There's some high drama in your yard!

Margaret Cloud said...

This hawk is very fast. He sure is pretty. Hope you have a Merry Christmas

Pat said...

Lovely captures! I like seeing these raptors around, but I don't want to witness their strikes.