WOODYNOOK CREATIONS

Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Tuesday, Tuesday

First, we were fortunate not to get any bad weather today. Whew! It did get up to 81 deg. and it was very windy, but sunny most of the day.
I took a walk yesterday on the creek trail and saw several Skunk Cabbage.
Also saw lots of beautiful violets, both purple, and white. I know where there are some wild yellow violets farther up the creek, but it's been a long time since I saw them, and the creek has changed it's path, so it's impossible to walk there any more.
We also checked on the Great blue Heron rookery, and I only saw 2 birds setting on the nests. I mentioned before, that last year about this time there was a violent rain storm in the area, and several of the nests were blown out of the trees. It does look though that these nests have been beefed up.
The temperature had dropped from 81 deg. this afternoon to 54 deg. now this evening. I got the grass mowed today, and if it's nice tomorrow, I'll do all the trim work, and weed whacking.
Have a great day everyone.

5 comments:

TexWisGirl said...

wow! i don't think i've ever seen a white violet! or a yellow wild one!

Mary said...

That skunk cabbage brings back good memories for me. My dad used to take us on walks in the woods and identify trees and plants for us. Skunk Cabbage was one that I quickly got to recognize and could call out when I saw it :-) Nice rookery shots! I need to go check the rookery in Henderson. No birds the last time I went.

EG CameraGirl said...

I'm glad you didn't get any bad weather, Becky. It was overcast here and very, very windy whistling through the trees. No real damage though!

Amila Kanchana said...

You really have had a wonderful day,thanks for sharing the experience the great photos!

Ruth Hiebert said...

Those violets are so beautiful. I had some yellow ones in my garden but had to move them last fall so I don't know if they survived.