WOODYNOOK CREATIONS

Thursday, May 24, 2012

It's Thursday

Back at the Malek park in Conneaut, Ohio you can see several Canada geese resting in the shade. It was a very hot day.
I found this Bullfrog sitting on the shore of one of the ponds. There is a small piece of Duckweed behind his left eye that looks somewhat like a heart.
Mr. Baltimore oriole in the foreground, and Mr. orchard oriole in the back.
A closer shot of the Orchard oriole. He is so dark. and always sits on this side of the feeder in the shade.
Mrs. Baltimore oriole.
There seems to be an unusual high number of Spittle bugs this year.
Spittlebug, common name for members of a family of plant-feeding insects, the nymphs of which cover themselves with a protective frothy material that looks like human spittle. Spittlebugs, like their relatives the aphids and cicadas, suck plant juices with their needlelike mouthparts. Although the bugs' feeding can distort or stunt herbaceous plants, they are generally harmless. Nymphs and their spittle can be washed off of plants with a forceful stream of water. About 850 species of spittlebugs are known worldwide, and 23 species are distributed throughout North America. They can be found on a variety of plants. Copied from the Internet.
We have lots of wild Phlox too. They attract plenty of butterflies, but on this day I didn't see any.. Just so beautiful.
We're in for a week of very hot temps. It will be a busy holiday on the roads and at the beaches on the area lakes.

3 comments:

TexWisGirl said...

so jealous of that double oriole photo! beautiful!

Mary said...

I love the phlox! I used to have a few plants but they seem to have died. I would love to have some more. I never see Orioles, so it is nice to see yours!

Ruth Hiebert said...

The Phlox is very pretty but I really don't like it in my flower beds as it seems to take over.