WOODYNOOK CREATIONS

Thursday, May 3, 2012

Thursday

It turned out to be a rather warm day with the temps in the 80's, and that was the perfect recipe for an evening thunder storm. It only lasted about 20 minutes but we got very heavy rain, with lots of hail and a drop of 15 deg. in temp.
Showing up this morning were several White-crowned sparrows. They are so cute and very fast.
Yesterday I checked the blue bird house and found a partially built nest mostly of green mosses. I don't remember ever seeing a bird nest like this, but later in the morning the Tree swallows have arrived, and were checking out the house. I'm thinking maybe a mouse is in there. I'll keep a close eye on it.
A couple more shots of the White-crowned sparrows.
There are a few Chipping sparrows too hanging around.
Now this scary guy was crawling up the wall of the garage. I'm sure this is some kind of jumping spider.

Last but not least I saw literally hundreds of Red Admiral butterflies today just everyplace. I've never seen so many before. Good to get pictures. I have more shots of them, and will post more in the coming days.

7 comments:

Arija said...

What a lot of wonders you have in your yard! I do hope you get a family nesting in your box. Love theWhite-crowned sparrows, they look so cheeky.
That black spider does not look too friendly, I'd stay well clear of it.

Isn't it a bummer the way it always hails when the flowers are at their best? Hope there was not too much damage.

Kerri Farley said...

Beautiful captures!

I saw hundreds of Red Admirals over the weekend. Someone told me they are migrating now ..... it was a delight to see!

MJ said...

I was enjoying the pictures until you posted the spider!!!! AAaaaack!!! LOL....... but alas, it's nature, is it not? Lots of storms it seems already, and summer really has yet to form, I have noticed that around here.... ((hugs))

Ruth Hiebert said...

The butterfly shot is exceptional. I had lots of them around as well.

Cicero Sings said...

Spring weather! This morning dawned beautiful and sunny but by the time I drove into town (to get my summer tires on) the clouds had rolled in, the wind had picked up and it was brrrr chilly out.

Cicero Sings said...

P.S. those white crowns are fast. Our flocks have already moved on. I do enjoy them while they are around. Such a hive of activity when they move in.

Amila Kanchana said...

Thrilled to see those lovely creatures! You are lucky to have them in your garden. The spider is exotic.