WOODYNOOK CREATIONS

Thursday, February 5, 2009

This group of pictures is from the past 3 days. The first one is yet another victim of heavy snow on the roof. There are increasingly more collapses now with recent snow fall. Our granddaughter Becca and her friend Natalie looking for a place to sled ride.

Yesterday morning early it was very foggy.
A flock of about 100 Starlings showed up this morning in the trees out back, but only 3 or 4 came to the feeders. Thank goodness.

We took all of our newspapers to the recycling center this morning and on the way home came through a very heavy snow band. It was sticking on the trees, and really was pretty.

We also drove by this farm, and the owner had just let his cows out for some fresh air. Some of these girls were up to their udders in the deep snow. Some were just standing around and some were trying to run, but the snow was too deep.

If you look over to the far right you will see one cow looking toward the open door. This is where they all came out, and I think she wants back in, but the snow was too much for her. I bet she'll have ice milk tonight. LOL

Here she is again resting. I'm not sure if she ever made it. Apparently the ones looking down from the barn door decided it wasn't such a good idea to go out.
I'm writing this Wednesday evening about 9:45. The sky is clear, and the temperature is -4º. We had 2" of new snow over night bringing our total for this season to 199". I looked up the total on Feb.4th of 2008 and it was 119" I guess we've topped that. Up-date on the temp. 05:00 Thursday temp is -15º!
Have a wonderful day and stay warm.
I don't often get a close-up of Mrs. Cardinal. She's looking good today!.

8 comments:

SAPhotographs (Joan) said...

Oh my goodness!! That must have been heavy snow to collapse that building!! Poor cows too!!

Anonymous said...

Poor cows. It has been a rough winter, especially over your way. We haven't had new snow in over a week, but the bitter temps remain. I hear there is a warm-up for the weekend?

Mary said...

Wow..that barn collapse is sad..hope it was an old unused one. Poor cows! I would refuse to leave the barn in that weather...who needs fresh air?? Well, I guess if you've ever smelled a cow barn, they probably all need a bit of fresh air :-) I'm just amazed that you have had 199 inches of snow. Nobody should have that much snow! Hope it warms up for you soon. How's the wood holding out?

EG CameraGirl said...

You have had sooo much snow, Becky. I hate to see roofs collapse under the weight of it. What a waste!

I enjoyed your commentary about the cows. It sure was cold yesterday so I bet the cows really did want to go back indoors.

Lovely photo of te female cardinal. ;-)

Cicero Sings said...

What a LOT of snow. Poor cows, it's not like they are agile like deer and can bound about through the snow! The range cattle follow their same paths so keep it packed down as it comes ... as they make their way to the hay that is thrown out for them.

Ruth's Photo Blog said...

I don't blame the cows if they don't know what to do in all that snow.Sledding must be good.
Blessings,Ruth

Kerri Farley said...

What a terrible time for the cows!
That sure is a LOT of snow to have in one season...I doubt we get that in 10 years. I wouldn't know what to do!!

BNS said...

Mrs. C. is looking mighty plump in that last photo.