WOODYNOOK CREATIONS

Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Yesterday afternoon I managed a walk on the creek trail. It had been under water from that storm we had last week, and then after the water receded it all turned to ice. As I walked along I crunched through about 3" of thick ice. It was interesting to see all the left over frozen water appearing in so many forms.
This was at the base of a tree. Some of the chunks were 5"-6" thick, and this one had started to melt.

Little ice balls just above the water.

I'm not sure what to call these, but they are so cool.
A closer shot.
This old snag had fallen down during the strong winds. Last spring it was home to a family of House Wrens, and was at least 7 ft. high. Oh, how they would scold me when I got too close. I hope they can find a new place to raise their family.
The high water left several gatherings of sticks wedged in some of the saplings.
Another beautiful day. I went out early yesterday morning just after sunrise and took many pictures of the frost. I'll post them tomorrow. P.S. It was 5ยบ at that time. We're predicted temps. in the 40's today and then later turning to snow, with lake effect on the way.Oh joy! Enjoy the day and get out there and take at least one picture.....


9 comments:

Mary said...

I like those ice balls and the other formations! How cool! Some day I hope you get to see unfrozen ground again :-)

SAPhotographs (Joan) said...

Those are pretty neat shots of the icicles in your header Becky. I love the ice shots too. By the looks of things, it is not long to wait until spring now.

Ruth's Photo Blog said...

Gorgeous phots.The amazing artistry of nature.The header picture is fantastic.
Blessings,Ruth

Anonymous said...

Becky, I love your header. Isn't it neat how ice becomes art? We saw some neat ice formations yesterday as we wound down a hilly drive, but there was a tractor trailer behind us, and we couldn't stop for pictures.

Snow predicted here today. The sky is very dark.

Cicero Sings said...

Love the hanging snow balls and the upside down snow cones!

BNS said...

I, too, love the photo in your header. And those snow formations are really something. Were they caused by wind?

EG CameraGirl said...

It really does look a lot like here in Ontario, Becky. You took some fine shots of all that ice.

dot said...

I love the little ice balls. Neat shots!

Jane O' said...

These are all beautiful shots although they make me shiver. We had snow overnight again and are expecting another 2-4 inches today continuing into Friday. I just keep focusing on March and wonder if it will go away then.