WOODYNOOK CREATIONS

Thursday, November 18, 2010

Here and There

While on a ride to Lake Erie the other day we stopped at this marina and watched the antics of Bonaparte's gulls. They are fast flying and will repeatedly dive head first down into the water for fish. There were 100's of them all circling above..


Riding past the vast fields if grapes you can see lots of large mounds of grape skins. Some vineyards mix the skins with leaves, grass clippings, and waste fish and left to "cook". Next spring as the grape vines begin to bud, they will spread this mix on their grape fields to use as fertilizer. When they first dump the grape skins on the ground, the air all around the area smells delicious of grape juice..
Back in our area, an Amish farmer goes out one morning to spread fertilizer on his fields.

Then there is Frosty wanting to go out to play with Jasper....NOT on your life girlie!
A female Downy woodpecker visits my peanut butter feeder.

Today was very, very windy, raining most all day, and gloomy!
Guess what--- The beaver dam is washed out again...1" of rain over night..
We should be used to this kind of weather in November, but I guess you never do.
Have a super rest of the week.

6 comments:

Janis said...

Great pics, love the sea gulls n woodpecker. Winters gloom is at our heals!

Ruth Hiebert said...

All those gulls in the air create an almost lacy scene.
Blessings,Ruth

Cicero Sings said...

Better rain than snow! I've a heap of shoveling ahead of me this morning. I tried to get a head start last night but it snowed equal again. Still, it would have been a heavy load if I hadn't done that. -11c here this morning.

Margaret Cloud said...

That sure is a lot of gulls. I bet thos grapes did smell good. I take it Jasper is an inside cat, cute picture of them. Too bad about the Beavers dam, all that work gone. Have a nice weekend.

Mary said...

I love that second photo of the gulls. I've never seen piles of grape skins! Wow. Love the Amish farmer. Adorable cat shot :-) That little female downy is so pretty. I love having them around all the time. I never tire of them....even when they make holes in my garage walls (cedar siding)

EG CameraGirl said...

I expect this kind of weather but that doesn't mean I have to like it! LOL

There certainly are a ton of gulls!

I love the photo of Frosty desperately wanting to go outside. :)