WOODYNOOK CREATIONS

Tuesday, February 15, 2011

World Bird Wednesday


Winter is still hanging on here, and I was surprised today to see this Great-Blue heron standing on the ice on the pond. It was a beautiful sunny day, and there was some warmth in that old sun as this bird stayed on the ice for over 2 hours soaking up all the heat.. Too bad I couldn't get better shots, but there was lots of branches and a chain link fence in the way.

Click on http://pineriverreview.blogspot.com to see lots more birds.

9 comments:

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

I can't believe how long those guys can stand still on a beautiful day in Florida! But on the ice? Good grief. Thanks for sharing!

jo©o said...

Hiya Becky,
Is he standing on one leg for all that time? And if so, did he switch?
Apparently they lose heat most through their legs, so if using just the one, there is less heatloss.
Could you do it? Even for ten minutes? I couldn't.

mick said...

Interesting photos. From someone living on the other side of the world - How do birds stop their feet from freezing on the ice??

Janis said...

I always love to watch the Blue Heron...LOL..I like Micks question!!

Pat said...

Nice captures of the Heron enjoying the winter sun! Love your header!

Dave said...

Herons are great to see.... yes they can stay still for long periods, however I love to see them in flight.... Prehistoric looking and huge.

Your blog title image is brilliant!

Dave

theconstantwalker said...

Lovely birds Becky and it looks really cold. In fact I have just turned up my heating after viewing this post lol .

Springman said...

Man, I've done more bird watching through chain link fences then I care to admit. Your ice bound heron is unusual to say the least. There must be some open water around somewhere for him to fish. Wild stuff! ;-)WBW

Margaret Cloud said...

I can see by these pictures that the birds want spring to come.