WOODYNOOK CREATIONS

Tuesday, February 22, 2011

World Bird Wednesday

The ugly European Starling really isn't ugly at all if you look closely. I love the pattern of these feathers, and how many of you out there get dizzy just watching this guy eating suet upside down...
Happy World Bird Wednesday, and it you click on http://pineriverreview.blogspot.com/ to see lots more birds.



18 comments:

joco said...

Hiya Becky,
That chain has to be very strong to cope with his antics :-)
They are quite sparkly and look good close-up like this, with tiny hearts all over them.

TexWisGirl said...

Oh my gosh! I never noticed the tiny hearts on them! Beautiful!

You should link this up on Thursday to www.clytie-randomhearts.blogspot.com
She posts "found" hearts and this would be a phenomenal one!!!

mick said...

Beautiful patterns on the feathers of that bird.

Ruth Hiebert said...

Amazing detail on those feathers.I guess I had better change my idea of these birds.

clavs said...

Interesting bird...
Your newest follower,
clavsupclose.blogspot.com

Mike B. said...

Yes, they do look cool with their decorations- not as nice when they lose the speckles and start looking all black.

Arija said...

Very true Becky. It is really a vety handsome bird, just unfortunately destructive since it not only will nest in the roof but also build up into very large numbers which rob the grain farmers of their profit after all the hard work they do.

Jan n Jer said...

You have a good point...helping to see the beauty in such a nusiance bird.

Dave said...

Noisy and quarralsome yes..... ugly no.

The changes throughout the year to the plumage is brilliant, watch them in flight when they turns towards the light and it catches the underwings.... sheer magic!

Unknown said...

They're actually quite good looking!! Boom & Gary of the Vermilon River, Canada.

holdingmoments said...

These poor birds get a terrible press, but I love them. Such characters.

Springman said...

They love the suet block don't they? Old Sternus Vulgaris evokes strong emotions! Great looks!

theconstantwalker said...

I love starlings. The plumage can be lovely to see as your image shows. A beautiful bird and so underated.

Jeannette StG said...

Thank you, Becky, a pic of the present state of the scene of the pastel would be great, My email: Jeannette(dot)Coevorden1(at)yahoo
(dot)com

eileeninmd said...

Great capture! The Starling looks pretty when the sunlight is shining on them. But, they seem like piggies at the feeders.

Pat said...

Starlings can be nuisances but they are beautiful. I never really noticed their beautiful plumage until this winter and took lots of photos of them. So I feel I owe them a little food for being such cooperative models!
Lovely shots!

Clytie said...

Texwisgirl sent me a link to your delightful blog. I am in awe of your starling ... I too never noticed that some of them have hearts! Lots and lots of little hearts! What a wonderful picture!

I would like to feature your starling hearts picture on a future Guest Heart Thursday ... please let me know if that would be okay with you!
clytie-randomhearts.blogspot.com

Dani said...

WOW!!! Simply unbelievable! Awesome.

Dropped by from Guest Heart Thursday!