WOODYNOOK CREATIONS

Thursday, March 3, 2011

It's Thursday

A large flock of Red-winged Blackbirds arrived this morning along with lots of Starlings and cleaned up all the seed on the ground. A sure sign of Spring? ? Along came this Robin too. I feel bad for him. There isn't much to eat, and the temps are really cold tonight. Right now at 8PM it's 11 deg! I'd invite him in, but Frosty was already licking her lips at the thought of a snack!


Speaking of Frosty, here she is. Peeking out from behind my coat.


On a trip earlier in the week, I spotted a Ruffed Grouse hen sitting in this bush. Of course by the time I got the van stopped and got the camera focused, I only had time for one picture before she flew away.

L0ts of deer out this time of year too. All looking for a bite to eat.

On the way home this woodchuck ran across the road, and up this snow bank. Some of the ground animals are beginning to appear. We have had a skunk in our back yard for the past 3 nights eating underneath the bird feeder. The Canada geese are showing up too and flying all around the neighborhood. I even saw a Brown Creeper this afternoon on our big Maple tree out front,but couldn't get any pictures. He was going around the tree way too fast for me. Just before supper I looked down on the creek and spotted a small flock of white ducks. I got out the binoculars, and I'm sure they were Common Mergansers. I have seen them there in past Springs, but today there were too far away for any pictures. The trail to the creek isn't accessible yet because of the high water this week. The water level has receded, but now all that is left are big chunks of ice.


That's all for today. More snow this morning, but only flurries. Some afternoon sun, but a very cold and windy day.

9 comments:

TexWisGirl said...

You got some great shots of the woodchuck and grouse, and I'm glad to see some of my blackbirds have left MY feeders! :) Poor little robin...

Arija said...

Does it ever feel like spring up you way! All those lovely birds and critters around.
Meanwhile I had to dash to Our Mt.Lofty house - 45miles each way - to lock up because himself had called in and left the doors unlocked! Fun, fun, fun . .

Kerri Farley said...

LOVE your header shot! I don't know that I've ever seen a woodchuck before .... but I LOVE that Geico commercial with them!!
Always make me laugh!

Clytie said...

I love your pictures - especially that woodchuck - I've never seen one in person!

And I couldn't help but notice on your second robin shot ... it's an upside down heart!!!

P.S. Your starling hearts are featured on today's Guest Heart Thursday! clytie-randomhearts.blogspot.com

Thank you!

Ruth Hiebert said...

It is oh so good to see and read about signs of spring.
Blessings,Ruth

Cicero Sings said...

Love your header picture.

No redwings here yet -- too much snow! Other years they have been here beore the end of February already.

No wood chucks here!

genie said...

WOW!!! You hit the jackpot with your animals and birds this week. This series is wonderful, and your pictures excellent captures. My birds are everywhere, and I way my first pillated woodpecker...and I am 72. Quite a thrill. I hope he returns.

Mary said...

If it wasn't for all the snow in your photos, I would say that spring was coming! Love that fat woodchuck. And the deer and the puffed up Robin. and the Grouse...I've never seen one! And Frosty is so pretty. I've had a skunk and raccoon and possum already, too. I wish they would all go back to sleep and stay away from my suet cakes!

Margaret Cloud said...

I always love your pictures, so clear. I have not seen any hibernating animals yet.