WOODYNOOK CREATIONS

Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Wild Bird Wednesday

Well, it IS Wild Bird Wednesday, and these birds aren't exactly wild. LOL
I have chickens and sell eggs, and last weekend I traveled to Ohio to buy some Splash Cochin Bantam chickens to add to my hobby chicken flock. Bantam chickens are very small about 1/2 the size of a regular chickens, and their eggs are also very small. The little hens might weigh just over a pound when fully grown. I don't depend on their eggs to sell, but instead we eat them so we can save the larger eggs for our customers.
The picture above is the rooster Christopher, and I also got 3 hens.

This is one of the three hens yet to be named, and she is a ball of soft fluff...
Sorry I don't have any new shots of wild birds this week. I think migration is beginning here, so maybe nest week I'll see something interesting.
Have a good rest of the week, and click on http://paying-ready-attention-gallery.blogspot.com to see lots more birds. Thanks to Stewart for this cool meme.

7 comments:

Kerri Farley said...

Cock-a-dooldle doo :) Great pics :)

Unknown said...

Great shots of these critters. Boom & Gary of the Vermilon River, Canada.

EG CameraGirl said...

Your chickens must keep you busy. I hope they don't hide their eggs but make it easy for you to find them, Becky.

The hawk migration has just begun here but they can fly pretty high so you might miss them. I don't think many water fowl have moved south yet.

Mary said...

Not wild, but beautiful. Lots of lovely colors.

Carletta said...

My Grandma loved chickens. I like all their colorful feathers but they scare me. I never could get the eggs. :)

A Colorful World said...

Chickens were once wild birds...so why not! :-) Actually I am a HUGE chicken-lover, and hope we can move one more time in our life to a house with a country-sized yard just right for chickens! Yours are very pretty!

Paula said...

OH~ they are SO PRETTY, Becky!
I have some splash Silkies and they are beautiful but their poor little feathered feet stay so grubby.
I think the last little hen should be named "Tea Cozy" after the hen in the book "Flossie and Bossie"~ she looks like what I would imagine that hen looked like!