WOODYNOOK CREATIONS

Tuesday, January 11, 2011

World Bird Wednesday


I took these pictures last Spring, and thought I would post them again. There is a family of Mute Swans on the Allegheny River near Warren, Pennsylvania, and apparently this is the 2nd family raised in this area..The residents near here feed them and look out for their well being. Dad is very proud of his young-ins and won't let you get too close! This is a warning..

Here is Mom and one of the cygnets doing some preening. This is how they learn.


A close-up of the cygnets. During Thanksgiving week-end we took a ride to check on the family and saw 5. They were out on the river a ways and I couldn't tell if the parents were there too, and mostly out of range for any good pictures. The babies have grown up but aren't all white yet.
Stop on over to http://pineriverreview.blogspot.com to see lots more birds.




17 comments:

mick said...

Lovely photos of the swans. I especially like the one of the adult and the tiny one both preening.

Ruth Hiebert said...

Aw,they are so cute.

holdingmoments said...

Cygnets just oooze that 'cute' factor, don't they.

theconstantwalker said...

A beautiful bird that everyone loves. The cygnets are lovely. Great images thanks for sharing.

Unknown said...

Those little guys are beyond cute. Great captures. Boom & Gary of the Vermilon River.

Springman said...

What a peaceful image!
The Sharp-shinned hawk on your header is terrific! ;-)WBW

jo said...

Hiya Becky,
The cygnets are surprising white.
I thought they stayed "ugly" much longer.

EG CameraGirl said...

Very sweet photos, Becky!

Sondra said...

OH this is what I want to see some young swans..awesome photos.

Empty Nester said...

What precious photos! Love them!

Naturegirl said...

Becky the last image is so precious! Love them all.

Sally in WA said...

Wonderful shot. I am glad you shared them again. The preening one is just precious.

Mary said...

Ahhhh...I love that shot of the little one preening and the last shot of the trio of young. The adults are so pretty.

NatureFootstep said...

Mute swan is so beautiful. But these chicks confuse me. They are so white, I thought they should be grey. Nice shos. I love the lst shot. How the young do as the parent.

BNS said...

Very nice series of photos. Those cygnets are so cute I just want to pet them!

Larry said...

Beautiful shots! The cygnets are very cute.

Margaret Cloud said...

The Swan picture with their young is so precious. They look like you could just pick them up but one squawk and the parents would be right there.