WOODYNOOK CREATIONS

Tuesday, January 25, 2011

World Bird Wednesday

Imagine how surprised I was this afternoon when I looked out under my bird feeder and spotted these 4 Wild Turkey hens. They seemed very interested in the sunflower seeds the birds have discarded.
They stayed for about an hour, and then flew away, but returned later to stay another hour.

I put out some corn, in hopes they will come back tomorrow.


Pretty colors in the hind wing and tail feathers, and these gals are really plump....






Happy World Bird Wednesday, and if you click on over to http://pineriverreview.blogspot.com you can see more birds.

18 comments:

Springman said...

The plumage on Turkeys is about as fascinating as it gets. For my money they are North America's Peacock. How wonderful to have them in the yard! Good move on the corn and I'll keep my fingers crossed that they'll be back!

Gemma Mira Wiseman aka Pamela Adams said...

I love the variety of tones in their feathers, especially in the tail! Great shots!

Ruth Hiebert said...

They do look healthy.I'm sure they will be back since they found a food source.Lovely colors on them too.
Ruth

mick said...

Great to see these big birds at your feeder. Your photos show beautiful feather details.

Sally in WA said...

I have a friend that has wild turkeys visiting his yard. They drive his dog nuts! You have some nice captures of them.

holdingmoments said...

Becky, they are beauties, aren't they. What great visitors to your garden.

Neil said...

Must be hard to find food with all that snow.

FAB said...

Lovely colourful species to have roaming your yard. I'm sure the corn will entice them back.

Empty Nester said...

Such lovely details! What a nice surprise for you!

Don Wood said...

Becky look after those Turkeys they are beautiful Thanks for sharing. XXX Don

Sondra said...

Love the wild turkeys!! My sister in Colorado fed a flock that took up outside the post office where she works last yr...this yr they took up at a place across the river so still in the neighborhood, so these guys MAY return if they survive. Great Photos!!

Pat said...

Nice shots of these pretty birds!

Hilke Breder said...

Those turkeys, they are really colorful and elegant birds, a little old-fashioned in their taste... Love the pics!

theconstantwalker said...

Beautiful birds to see nice images. Thanks for sharing

me ann my camera said...

What lovely magnificent biirds. I've never seen them, We don't have them here in our area. Your header is beautiful too. We don't have deer in our yard this winter as we fenced in our property and fenced the deer out. They proved to be too much of a nuisance in our garden during the spring and summer. They loved ou4r hostas! too much!

Kerri Farley said...

Oh my .... those feathers are awesome! I would LOVE to have a turkey visit my feeders :)

Margaret Cloud said...

Very nice photos. They do have some pretty feathers.

Mary said...

How cool! I've never had turkeys in my yard. wonderful!