WOODYNOOK CREATIONS

Tuesday, November 8, 2011

World Bird Wednesday

I hit the jackpot, at least for me that is. We took a ride by a local lake yesterday, and visited this delightful small state park. It is all cleaned up for the winter, and was very empty and really quiet. All of a sudden I spied this Pileated woodpecker, and he was most patient for about 5 minutes while I took a zillion pictures. Of course only a few were any good. A lifer for me too.
Moving along to the opposite side of the lake we came upon about 200 Coots moving through the water. I've never seen so many in one place.
Happy World Bird Wednesday, and click on over to http://pineriverreview.blogspot.com to see what Springman has done with this meme.

17 comments:

TexWisGirl said...

i love the pileateds! nice catch!!!

Brian King said...

I see Pileated Woodpeckers quite often in the fall near our cabin. Very cool birds! What I haven't seen is that many Coots in one place! Great shots!

Laura Delegal - Leroy Photography said...

Yes, I agree. Jackpot!!

mick said...

Great photos. The Woodpecker is especially nice.

Larry said...

Congrats on the lifer Becky! I love Pileated Woodpeckers, especially when they are drumming or vocalizing! The American Coots in that subdued light are very cool too.

holdingmoments said...

I bet you were very excited to capture such a lovely lifer like that. :-)

Anonymous said...

Jackpot is right if he hung around for 5 minutes. My opportunties are always way up in the tree and even then it is "Oh, camera guy. I am outta here." Good for you.

Arija said...

What a thrill to get a lifer. Congrats. Becky. I've never seen coots in those numbers all together, amazing.

Love your yellow orchids too.

Springman said...

Amazing what pops up when you make the effort to get out. Seeing a Pileated is a great experience the ninth time let alone the first. I am excited for you, that's a great lifer!
Cheers!

Pat Ulrich said...

Always love to see a pileated! cool find!

Mary said...

Wonderful pileated shots! They are such neat birds. Their size always manages to awe me. That's a lot of coots! Love your header orchid!

theconstantwalker said...

Lovely you got a newbie.. lovely images

theconstantwalker said...

lovely to see you capture a newbie...

Unknown said...

Pileateds are so impressive!! Boom & Gary of the Vermilon River, Canada.

Hilke Breder said...

Congrats on a lifer, Becky!! You got some nice pictures of the Pileated W. too.

Tracey Leeder said...

I have only seen this bird in pictures. This one is a beauty! You are so lucky. I am still waiting to see one.

Pat said...

I'd love to see a Pileated Woodpecker! Nice captures!