WOODYNOOK CREATIONS

Thursday, August 18, 2011

Just More Stuff

Another lovely day with beautiful clouds.
This is by far the biggest common Snapping turtle I have ever seen. It was crawling across the road on our way to get groceries this morning. I was so afraid it would get run over, but everyone drove around it, and finally the turtle raised up on it's legs and walked back into the weeds. I read they can live 30-40 years, and I bet this guy is old!
Their bite is so strong it could snap a finger off with no problem. We have caught them in our back yard on occassion and always let them bite onto the blade of a shovel, and then we would transport them to another stream. They wouldn't let go of the shovel till we put them into the water. They can be dangerous and with little kids around, we couldn't take any chances.
These Amish are from a different order than around our home. Their dress is different, and notice the horses hooves are all off the road at one time. That's difficult to capture.
This grasshopper landed on the side of the road while we were out walking the dog.
Lots of different kinds of wild grasses, and they can be pretty covered with dew.
This was the Waning Gibbous orange moon last night around 10PM.

6 comments:

Gap year Africa said...

My first visit to your blog and I must say, it's awesome. I liked your photography and timing of your clicks. Much appreciated. Will come back to your blog regularly.

TexWisGirl said...

great photos of the snapper. i've caught and relocated a few here too as they were taking ducklings off of our pond so i 'gifted' them to other rural ponds down the road. :)

Jan n Jer said...

Wow that snapping turtle is scary...I know they can be very harmful! Nice shots!

Cicero Sings said...

Like that first shot. Neat to get the picture tith all four hooves lifted at once. What are the chances of that!

Ruth Hiebert said...

You caught those horses at just the right moment.I love the grasses.

Margaret Cloud said...

Very good photos as usual. Snappers are scary and yes they will take a finger off.