WOODYNOOK CREATIONS

Saturday, November 21, 2009

Fruitful Friday

I took so many pictures Friday, and if I don't post some of them now , I'll forget! I hope you all don't get bored.
I discovered this cute little lavender flower growing around the base of our Norway Maple tree. I must have planted it last summer, but I don't know what it is.
EG of http://eastgwillimburywow.blogspot.com/ has said this is Lamium. THANKS EG!
Some moss that was growing on a rock in the same location. Moss is very interesting if you get up close and personal. It might look like a miniature forest.
This is a shelf fungus on a stump on our Llama trail. The tree had been cut down years ago by the beavers.

I'm going to tell you a short story, I hope, about the Goldenrod Gall fly. The Goldenrod Gall fly is a parasite that lives exclusively on Goldenrod plants. The fly's entire life and death is centered on Goldenrod. The females lay their eggs in the spring on the plant's stem.. After about 10 days the eggs hatch. The larvae create saliva that has a chemical in which causes the plant to grow abnormally forming a "gall" that the larvae live in. In the Fall the gall turns brown and the larvae will dig an escape tunnel to leave the following Spring. BUT Downey woodpeckers, and Chick-a-dees are 2 birds who seek out galls to break them open and get the larvae out for a tasty meal.




On my afternoon walk I also found a couple Buttercups in bloom. Brave little flowers they are, since I've heard that 4 letter "S" word mentioned for next week.

This shelf Fungus is as big as a dinner plate. I'd really like to paint on it, but it's not on our property.

A close look at some Lichen that was covering a fallen branch.

Remember earlier this week I posted the Beaver dam out on the creek behind our house, and mentioned that if we had any rain that raised the creek, that the dam probably would wash away. Yesterday we had 1" of rain, and already the water is over the top. Will it hold or not? Stay tuned for more up-dates.


Mr. and Mrs. Cardinal. I believe these 2 are babies from this year. They show up every day at dawn and dusk.

The Mrs. checking out something on the ground.


Burdock. My poor old cat Maggie has Burdock in the fur on her back. She'll need a haircut!

On a trip to Chautauqua Lake the other day, we saw some Northern Shoveler ducks. They are new for me, and probably were migrating through the area. I had to take these through the van window, so they might not be that clear but I couldn't pass it up.
Most of the males were snoozing. I think there were 6 males.
This juvenile male came a little closer.
Another week-end is upon us. I hope everyone stays safe and has a restful few days. Hope your weather is great too.
Be sure to check out my post for Week-end Reflections BELOW.

7 comments:

SAPhotographs (Joan) said...

WOW Becky!! I love this series. Those dried weeds are so pretty.

EG CameraGirl said...

I can't believe you are finding plants still in bloom! That's amazing.

The lavender-coloured blossom is lamium, also called dead-nettle.

I love the photo of the moss!

Ruth's Photo Blog said...

Thanks for all the new info.I had seen the Goldenrod galls but never took the time to do any research.Love the close-up of the lichen and the moss.Most interesting post.Have a fabulous weekend.
Blessings,Ruth

Mary said...

Wonderful variety of photos! You really hit the jackpot! I love that last lichen. I saw Shovelers at the zoo lake yesterday, but by the time I got near they had disappeared. I was so interested in that gall story! I've seen those before and never knew what sort of gall they were or that they were only on Goldenrod and certainly didn't know that Downys and chickadees broke into them! Wow. Great to know all that.

Crafty Green Poet said...

what wonderful photos, the cardinals are adorable and the close ups of lichen and fungi are stunning

Margaret Cloud said...

You always have such an interesting post, love all the pictures, they are so clear and very pretty. Thank you for coming by and hope you have a nice Thanksgiving, don't eat too much, ha, ha.

jan m said...

Nice photos and bits of information Becky. I can always count on learning something from you.
Love the Northern Shovelers. The first time I saw one, I could see how they got their name.