WOODYNOOK CREATIONS
Thursday, June 23, 2011
Pics from vacation, and home
Our vacation was spent in Gallitzin, Penna where we stayed at an awesome B&B right along side of the Norfolk Southern railroad mainline. The trains travel all day and all night, so there is no excuse for not getting enough train time. The B&B has a wonderful deck on which you can sit with a cup of coffee, tea, or soda while you visit with other train fans while below on these tracks the trains travel East and West through the Allegheny mountain range. This particular control point is the highest point on the line, and from here East to Altoona, Penna is all down hill. The Eastbound train traffic must stop here while checking their brakes. The tunnel on the right is the Gallitzin tunnel, built in 1854 and enlarged in 1995 to permit double stack trains. The other tunnel the Allegheny tunnel was built in 1904 and is no longer used. The tracks have been removed, and at the present the workers are closing up the tunnel with cement blocks mostly to keep kids from getting into trouble. Check out the man in the yellow shirt, and then you can see just how mammoth these tunnels are. The larger one is almost 1 mile long.
Back home the Downey woodpeckers are bringing the kids now for lunch.
A Bluebird checking out the house, but sadly they left, and when I went to check out why, I found an ants nest inside. I cleaned it out, but I think they won't be back this year.
These shots are out of order, but here are some "helper" engines. They attach to the rear of the trains and help by pushing going up hill as the trains travel West toward Pittsburgh, Penna.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
Sounds like you had a wonderful vacation doing what you love! Great pics
i like your header photo. and the cute robin redbreast is sweet!
That is a huge tunnel, and I'm glad you referenced the man as a comparison. We had several nights of lightning, all cloud to cloud. I've never seen anything like that.
Love the blue, blue, bluebird! :)
An interesting mix of trains and birds. I had trouble with ants in our bluebird house, too. I wonder what can be done to keep them out.
Post a Comment