WOODYNOOK CREATIONS

Wednesday, June 15, 2011

World Bird Wednesday

We have lots of Turkey Vultures in our area, and it is so amazing how these big birds can soar for the longest time on the air currents without ever flapping their wings. They are also very protective of their lunch, and will many times challenge you in your vehicle if you get too close.
Happy World Bird Wednesday and do click on over to http://pineriverreview.blogspot.com to see lots more bird shots.











11 comments:

Jan n Jer said...

As ugly as they are...I guess they are a good thing...something has to clean up all the road kill!

Ruth Hiebert said...

I am always amazed at the beauty of these birds in flight.I can't say the same about their homely faces,but they are still God's creation.

MaineBirder said...

Very nice captures of the Turkey Vulture! A face only a mother could love.

TexWisGirl said...

i love these guys!

holdingmoments said...

Great captures Becky. They look huge!
Must be quite a sight to see them gliding in the sky.

theconstantwalker said...

A lovely bird to see in the wild..
We don't have them over here in the UK.

Cicero Sings said...

We have turkey vultures too - just don't see them too often and never close enough for my camera.

Pat Ulrich said...

It looks quite regal on its perch there. They may be ugly by a conventional definition, but I do find them to be interesting birds!

Springman said...

Gtreat shots of my favorite "villain!" Hey, I'm doing a little Sam Clemens reading right at the moment and your header photo really tickeled me! Fantastic!

Pat said...

Great shots! I love to see these birds in flight!

Mary said...

I just saw this post....after posting about turkey vultures in my own blog :-) They are such funny looking critters.