WOODYNOOK CREATIONS
Sunday, June 5, 2011
Around Home
Walking out to pick up the mail this afternoon I saw this mama and babe Mourning dove resting on the fence. I don't think mama thought I saw her because she held so still and even let me get some pictures.
We have lots of black Locust trees on our property, and the blossoms are very fragrant this year. They smell like Concord grapes.
There seems to be lots of Whitetail Dragonflies this year too. Last summer I didn't see very many.
On my creek walk last week on a really warm day I almost stepped on this Garter snake. He was sunning himself on some dried weeds.
This is the first snake I have seen around here in many years, and this one is at least 23" long!
A couple Mallards lounge during a beautiful day.
A Skimmer Dragonfly.
Yesterday afternoon I walked along the creek trail which by the way hasn't been mowed this year yet. It has been under water so many times, the ground is still soft mud, and the grass is getting pretty high. Anyway as I stood on the creek bank looking out toward the water, I saw this huge Soft-shelled turtle swimming up stream. The water it still quite swift, and this dude is really a strong swimmer.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
beautiful shots! i especially enjoyed seeing a young mourning dove! have never seen a youngster in real life! :)
What a cute baby dove :-) Love the snake and turtle. Great shots! I'm finally starting to see some dragonflies and butterflies. Haven't been out to look much. Getting hot out there and have been watching tennis a lot.
These are great pictures and I always know I am in for a treat coming here. I liked the Mourning Dove, a sight I have never come across.
Post a Comment