WOODYNOOK CREATIONS

Saturday, October 25, 2008

Birds, Birds, and More Birds!

I am so amazed every year at this time at the migration of birds. You can see several starlings for instance in your yard at any one time. During migration you might see hundreds! Now how in the world did they all get together. Do they start with just a few, then go yard to yard to pick up more followers, and so on till the numbers reach into the hundreds???
At any rate it's mind boggling.
On this particular day these birds were in the trees next to our property, making a terrible racket. They seemed to be all Red-winged Blackbirds. There were far more than is shown here.
Coming in for a landing.
Yesterday morning at 07:15. A sign of things to come!
We spotted these Starlings on a dirt road. Again there were hundreds of them. There didn't appear to be anything on the road for them to eat. Wonder why they were there?
A car passed by, and they all flew into a yard only to return later to the road.
In the trees, on the wires, and in the air. Alfred Hitchcock eat your heart out!
Here they are in someones front yard. Be careful where you step!
OK, enough for the birds! It's going to be a yucky day for sure. Right now it's 48º and raining. Snow on the way. Have a wonderful day all.

7 comments:

Ruth's Photo Blog said...

Wow,you do have a lot of birds at your place.Do they clean out the feeders quickly?I like the sunrise/sunset? picture,beautiful color.
I need to tell you that every time I visit your site I want to jump in the car and drive down the road on the header.Looks very inviting.

Cicero Sings said...

Yesterday we had a flock of Pine Siskins come through ... they came, cleaned out the feeders and they went! The Pine Siskins we had earlier in the fall had already flown the coup!

Mary said...

Swarms like this are fascinating and like you, I wonder why? The ones on the road...warmth? Great photos. I'm always glad that I only get the huge swarms on the very worse days of winter. The rest of the time they stay in the nearby fields.

SAPhotographs (Joan) said...

You have some amazing pictures here. I love the butterflies on the side and that sunrise is stunning!!

Michele said...

Whoa... tons of the feathered fellas, hey? Wow... sometimes I'll see them in huge flocks overhead but they don't usually sit on the ground like that... hmmm...
What a wonderful sunrise sky!! Beautiful.
~Michele~
Mountain Retreat- Canada

EG CameraGirl said...

I sometimes wonder if birds make and hear sounds that humans can't hear. Or maybe they somehow communicate that when the sun crosses at a certain latitude or the temperature lowers to a certain number of degrees they'll meet at such-and-such a marsh or so-and-so's field.

I agree the natural world is amazing and there's still a tremendous amount we humans know very little about.

The Riverbum said...

What a lovely sunrise photo! The colors are great!