WOODYNOOK CREATIONS

Thursday, October 30, 2008

HAPPY HALLOWEEN! Good Morning all. It was a blustery day and we have about 2" of snow. Towns farther to the south got much more. The old Indians call this Squaw winter. When this is finished we'll get Indian summer, and the temperatures could reach the upper 60's. Won't that be nice? The Indians gathered one more raiding party before winter during this time when there was no snow on the ground and their enemies couldn't track them back to their camps.
This was our back yard when it all started.
Driving down the road to look for pumpkins. At this point the snow wasn't sticking.
This is the Bittersweet bush/ shrub where I took the shot that is in my header. I just love Bittersweet for holiday decorations, and we found this growing along side a dirt road out in the "boonies". I might have to go back there and snip some. I do have my own growing, but it doesn't have any berries. Behind this bush was a huge one in the woods, but no way to get to it.
Driving home I spotted a couple of barns. This one apparently has no one to love it.
This one is in better condition, and sits beside a large corn field that has yet to be harvested.
Finally this barn is about 1 mile from us. It is a huge complex, and very modern. They are the ones that use the liquid manure called "slurry", and when it's spread on the fields, the entire countryside smells BAD for days!

7 comments:

Kristine said...

What is that WHITE stuff?!!!!

Becky, I'm sending you another "I love your blog" award, same as Michelle sent you. Your photos continue to AMAZE me every single time.

:)

Ruth's Photo Blog said...

I've been meaning to comment on your header,it is so pretty.I wish we had some of your snow,I love snow.I know people think I'm crazy but that's O.K.

Mary said...

2 inches? Already? Brrrrr! I bet your wood stove is going strong! Love all your Halloween decorations. That bittersweet is so pretty and how great to find some wild you can cut!

EG CameraGirl said...

Oh I DO know the "aroma" of slurry. EW! A few farmers here use it and the smell is powerful!

I'm looking forward to Indian Summer. I'm ready. ;-)

Pia K said...

Cute candleholder, though I think my favourite one was the one with a ghost and pumkin I noticed in another recent post of yours.

Wow, snow, that seems so distant yet, although I suppose it could happen any day now. For now it's "only" gales and pouring rain this side of the pond.

Happy Halloween to you too:)

SAPhotographs (Joan) said...

A lovely isight into your world Becky and Gary. Thanks for sharing. I loved the "Slow walk" blog below this too.

Naturegirl said...

Oh my word!! SNOW!! Here in my corner of the blogland none yet in fact tomorrow we are having 19C sunny skies!! Great for all the Halloween goblins!
Sky watching tonight and I also have pumpkins!
Love the last 2 barn house images.