WOODYNOOK CREATIONS

Thursday, October 16, 2008

SkyWatch Friday

This shot was taken last Saturday by our daughter-in-law about 50 miles from here at Pumpkinville. She was there with the Brownie troop, and spotted this rare upside down rainbow. It's caused by the sun shining through the ice crystals in the Stratus clouds.
I had to share this with you. Thanks Helicia!
Happy SkyWatch Friday to all, and thanks to tom, Sandy, Imac, and Klaus for this site.
Click on http://skyley.blogspot.com/ to see more terrific photos.

31 comments:

Traci said...

Hi! I'm new to Skywatch too - pretty funny both of our pictures are of rainbows... This is a very neat pic. I've never seen an upside down rainbow before.

Guy D said...

Very impressive and unique. well done. thanks for sharing.

Cheers

http://reginainpictures.blogspot.com/

MaryAnn Ashley said...

Great post... what a find. How rare is that. I don't think I've ever seen one before.

Baruch said...

Very nice - a great capture. I have yet to see this myself. Happy SWF!

Carletta said...

Very beautiful!
I've never seen one so I thank you for sharing.

Jan said...

I've never seen an up-side down rainbow. Amazing.

Anonymous said...

What a great photo your daughter-in-law took! I've never seen a rainbow like this before either. A really beautiful picture to share with us!

Anonymous said...

How lucky that your daughter -in-law got to see this, and even luckier that she had a camera handy. And now the luckiest are those of us who get to see this phenomenon here on your blog.

EG CameraGirl said...

I must admit that is the FIRST upside-down rainbow I've ever seen! AMAZING!!

There's really a place called Pumpkinville? Isn't that a perfect name for October? I'm imagining scarecrows, cornstalks and jack-o'-lanterns on every front porch. ;-)

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh, that's so wonderful! I love the rainbow!

Mine is posted here and here. Hope you could drop by, too! Happy weekends!

Daniel Chérouvrier said...

A piece of collection !

Jane Hards Photography said...

OMG! That's so spooky.Very impressive unusual image.

PJ said...

I feel so lucky to have seen this rainbow. How lucky you r daughter must feel to have photographed it.

Ruth's Photo Blog said...

That is beautiful, to say the least.I am not yet part of Skywatch but I do find all the pictures very interesting.Maybe someday I too will join.

AphotoAday said...

That is simply amazng... Thanks for showing it...

Mary said...

That is gorgeous! I don't think I ever saw an unside down rainbow! I took photos of sun dogs coming home from Iowa and forgot to post them....guess that will be next week!

dot said...

Fantastic rainbow picture! I've never seen one like it.

Cindy said...

Wow- that is amazing, and beautiful. Pumpkinville? Do you mean Pumpkinville near Ellicotville, NY? We live less than half an hour away from there.
My first sky watch photo is Here

Unknown said...

That's incredible!!Great post!

Coastal BC Stories Books said...

We get solar halos here in British Columbia fairly often, but usually in the spring and early summer. I love your shot. I invite you to come see my sky views from the BC Ferry to Powell River. -- Margy

Louise said...

Rare, indeed. This is FANTASTIC! Thanks so much for sharing it!

Anonymous said...

Neat photo! My son was actually at Pumpkinville last Saturday too, driving down with friends from Buffalo. I thought he was kidding about the name, till reading your post! I'll have to ask him if he noticed the rainbow.

Arija said...

Fantastic capture, full marks to your daughter-in-law for her good eye and quick reflexes. That certainly is a very rare sight. Thank you for sharing it with all of us.

earthlingorgeous said...

Oh wow! what a lovely rainbow. awesome swf!

Nancy said...

Hey! You don't see a smiley rainbow every day! Nice catch - cool photo.

Laura ~Peach~ said...

totally awesome I have never seen an upside down rainbow... :) love it

Cindy said...

Hi again, Becky- while I have not been to the Pumpkinville you referred to, I do have a daughter who lives in Titusville with her husband and their three soon to be adopted foster children. Small world...

2sweetnsaxy said...

Awesome! I'd love to see something like that in the sky one of these days. Great capture!

Kerri Farley said...

Fantastic capture!!! You should frame this one!!!

Jeannelle said...

This is amazing! Good thing your daughter was so observant! Greetings from Iowa.

Mary said...

Amazing. First for me!!