WOODYNOOK CREATIONS

Saturday, April 18, 2009

Another day trip

We have had a beautiful couple of days, and we have taken advantage of them. Wednesday morning I got some pictures of the Eagle just down the road from us sitting not too far from the creek. I even got out of the van and he didn't fly away. He remained there for at least 5 minutes. I later spotted him up the creek when the dog and I went on our morning walk. I'm just hoping the mate is sitting on eggs or tending to some young.

Later in the morning on a drive I spotted this Lesser Yellowlegs, or at least this is what I think it is. It didn't move from this spot, but kept bobbing up and down. My Sibley's book says it will do this when alarmed. If anybody thinks it might be something different, I'd love to know.




Then on the way home, I see this big nest high up in an old tree about 50 yards from the creek and about 2 miles from our house. I have not seen this before, but I haven't trained my eyes to look skyward till now. I think there is a bird in this nest, but I'm not sure if it's an adult, chick, or what it is even. I will be keeping an eye on it.




I believe this is an Angle-winged Butterfly, but I don't know which one. Thanks so much to EG at http://eastgwillimburywow.blogspot.com/ for ID'ing this butterfly as the Eastern Comma. Read her comment to learn all about it. Thanks EG!

These Daffodils grow in back of the barn. I need to pick some and put them on my desk.

On another drive out to dinner Thursday evening, we came upon a farmers field with a small stream running through it. It also had flooded the field somewhat so that it made a small pond. This Great Blue Heron was fishing and I thought probably it would fly away if I stopped, but it did stand still for a couple of pictures. I hardly ever get any shots of Herons.

Then it only flew a few feet and landed again.

In this same flooded field are 2 Canada Geese nests. One was unoccupied, but the other one had someone home, and "she" wasn't too happy that we stopped to take pictures.

This goose was hunkered down trying to hide.

It's supposed to be really warm today and we have outside work to do. We have a birdhouse to put up that my sister made us for Christmas. You all have a wonderful day, and get outside and enjoy!

6 comments:

Jan said...

Wonderful post and photos, Becky. I'm especially jealous of your eagle photos. They're great.

Ruth's Photo Blog said...

Lots of great pictures.The bird in the nest looks like an owlet,but I can't be sure.I saw my first butterfly og spring yesterday,but no camera around.
Blessings,Ruth

EG CameraGirl said...

You've taken some great bird photos. I'm surprised (and jealous) that the eagle stayed there so long for you. Fabulous catch, Becky!

I know the name of the butterfly but it just refuses to pop up in my memory. I'll come back when I DO think of it...I promise. ;-)

EG CameraGirl said...

Just though of the butterfly - Eastern Comma. This one probably lived all winter long in a safe place such as under some bark. They come out whenever the temperature goes above 60°. This would be the version that hatched last summer. A slightly different coloration will hatch this spring, mate, lay eggs and produce the second version in summer.

jan m said...

It's so nice to see that spring has come your way Becky. Sounds like you had a good day to be out.
We spotted a lesser yellowlegs the other day at the wildlife refuge. I based my "lesser" vs. greater on the fact that the bill was not too long, and yours looks very similar.
Hope you'll keep us posted about that nest in the tree.

Arija said...

I popped over for your skywatch but got hooked on this splendid post with all the wonderful things you have seen and captured. Just lovely.