WOODYNOOK CREATIONS

Sunday, April 12, 2009

Day Trip

Friday we took a day trip and first stopped at the Kinzua Dam about 9 miles from my home town of Warren, Penna. This Dam has been in place since 1962. Before that the water from the Allegheny River quite often would flood the towns down stream. I'll save that for another post. My parents owned a cottage 6 miles below the Dam, and more than once had lots of high water. The Allegheny River runs South to Pittsburgh, Penna where it joins up with the Monongahela River to form the Ohio River, and eventually joins with the Mississippi.
Across the road from the Dam is a very high rock wall , and there are several pretty waterfalls.


We took our GPS "Lizzie" with us, and sometimes "she" leads us astray... Friday was one of those days! She said to turn left and I did down a one lane dirt road. Bad choice! We were to go 3.8 miles, and once I got on this road there was no turning back! It truly was one lane right through the deep woods. The road was narrow and had many deep mud puddles, and rocks.
Not only was the road deserted, but this Ruffed Grouse was the only wildlife we saw, and then we almost missed her.
Just no place to turn around. We could only go about 2 mph too.
This was the driest part. Finally we got to turn around and would you believe "Lizzie" never told us "Recalculating" LOL
Our destination was Kinzua Bridge State Park in Mt. Jewett, Penna. We went to see the highest railroad bridge in the world. This was before it got struck with a category 1 tornado in 2003. You can read more about it on Gary's blog http://steamacrossthetrestle.blogspot.com/ There is a picture there, and we will be telling the story about this wonderful bridge in the next couple of days.
While at Kinzua Bridge State Park I noticed lots of woodpeckers flitting through the trees. They were Yellow bellied Sapsuckers. There were so many and they were so quick. I felt fortunate to have gotten 2 shots. All 3 were males.

It was a cool and windy day. We managed to get back home withOUT "Lizzie's" help too.
Have a wonderful and Blessed Easter everyone.

7 comments:

SAPhotographs (Joan) said...

I think Lizzie has got old and needs to be replaced. :) Those waterfalls are lovely Becky.

jan m said...

Becky, my husband and son camped at Kinzua Bridge with the boy scout troop back in the early 90's. We still have the souvenir coffee mug they brought home. I remember hearing about the tornado hit a few years back. Such an impressive structure! Glad you had a nice day out. We've found ourselves on some of those no-way-to-turn-around back roads, but can't blame a GPS for it.

Ruth's Photo Blog said...

Sounds like you had a lttle more adventure than you ha bargained for.Those watefalls are pretty.
Blessings,Ruth

Cicero Sings said...

Good to get lost once in a while ... makes for a more exciting trip!

Happy Easter!

Betty said...

Neat adventure I like it when I go somewhere unexpected,I always said I am not lost just misplaced for a while. I Warren any where near Easton that is where my husband is from. I love all of your pictures.
Happy Easter to you and yours.
~~ HUGS~~

EG CameraGirl said...

I didn't realize a GPS could lead one astray. I thought they were supposed to help. LOL

I look forward to seeing photos of the Kinzua State Park.

BNS said...

Occasionally we have ended up on roads like the one you described - narrow, treacherous, and nowhere to turn around. At least you got a photo of that grouse for your troubles! :-D