WOODYNOOK CREATIONS

Thursday, August 12, 2010

Hot and Steamy

Dropping by the feeders this morning was a flock of juvenile Blue jays. They sound so funny with their crackling calls, and they seem to like all the suet I have put out for the woodpeckers. Out on the trail I see the Teasels are plenty this summer.
A wild Aster, but I don't know which one, because there are so many. A surprise when I uploaded the picture is this cute little green bug in the lower right hand corner. Of course my name is right over it... Sorry

These tiny flowers are beginning to show up everywhere, and they are called Virgin's Bower, a member of the Buttercup family also known as the Old Man's Beard.


More Asters.

I noticed while I was on the trail a large flock of Turkey Vultures circling way up high searching for something dead no doubt.

Speaking about the trail, a neighbor from up the road has begun clearing some ground up past the end of our property down on the creek edge but on the opposite side. When I was down there this afternoon he was there operating a dozer, and scared away all the wildlife. I can't actually see him from the trail, but the noise chases away anything in the area. Guess I'll have to take my walks earlier.
These Glads are in full bloom now too. I only have a few white ones.



Guess that's about all for today. More heat and humidity in store. We stacked a little wood this morning before the heat got to us, and I'm going to can a few tomatoes from the garden tomorrow. They ripen at different times, so I'll do a little at a time.

5 comments:

SAPhotographs (Joan) said...

I think Glads are a flower we tend to not take much notice of but I really got to love them. They come in such wonderful colors.

That Teasel is great. I love the shape of it.

EG CameraGirl said...

I hope nothing noisy is being developed in your neighbourhood that will spoil your lovely natural area.

I've noticed a lot of teasels this year too.

Ruth's Photo Blog said...

Lovely pictures.I like the Vultures against the blue sky.
I hope that heat lets up soon.
Blessings,Ruth

Margaret Cloud said...

I did see the halo, the sky is always interesting to watch, we live by two lakes and a river and something is always flying over head. I enjoyed your pictures and the flowers. Thank you for coming by and have a nice weekend. Weather man here says it is going to cool dhow, yeah, right, I will believe it when I feel it.

Mary said...

Lots of beautiful white flowers! The bluejays look cute :-) I'm not seeing too many baby birds at the moment...a few cardinals and always house sparrows.