WOODYNOOK CREATIONS

Sunday, August 8, 2010

End of the week-end

Looking around on the load of logs that were delivered last week, I spotted these cool looking fungus. They are really soft and leather like.






There seems to be plenty of Monarch Butterflies this year, and I can't resist taking pictures everytime I see one. Last Summer they were not to be found. This one is on Joe Pye weed, and I hope I can find lots of caterpillars to raise.


Searching for beach glass last week, these Canada geese really didn't offer to help!


This Robin sat for the longest time on the telegraph pole. Soon they will be making their way South, and all of a sudden we'll realize that they are gone till next Spring!

I bought a quart of Blackberries yesterday, and they are huge. Quite pricey too I might add so I'll be using them sparingly..

Our kids planted yellow Watermelon, and this one is nearly ready. Yum, yum.

8 comments:

jan m said...

Those berries look great! I remember picking them and my grandmother making a berry pie.

Ruth's Photo Blog said...

It has been years since I've seen a watermelon in the garden.Wow,did this ever bring back memories of Mom's gardening day.
Blessings,Ruth

SAPhotographs (Joan) said...

That is a most unusual fungi Becky and very interesting. I have not seen one like it before. I wonder if it remained soft like that?

Those berries are yummy but my favorite has always been watermelon and I cannot wait for them to be in season again - just a few more months then I can make a pig of myself again. :)

Jan said...

Oh, "the fungus, among us," is rather beautiful. Love the blackberries, they're expensive, here, too. Eat
'em fast before they get their own fungus!

Arija said...

What wonders your garden provides! I wonder whether the fungi are edible, they look so shiny and delicious. You are heading towards autumn and we have the first almond blossom betokening the coming of spring. I will be glad of slightly warmer days while I prune my roses.
Sorry I have not been around, first it was hospital and the last few days an intermittent network connection.

EG CameraGirl said...

The fungi are so white! I don't remember seeing any like this before.

Have you found a monarch caterpillar yet? I have been looking but so far have found nothing.

The berries look scrumptious! They may be expensive but they are a lot of work to pick yourself and I always end up with tons of scratches all over my hands and arms. :)

Mary said...

Those mushrooms do look soft and leathery! Interesting! You've got lots of Monarchs and I've had lots of Tiger Swallowtails...like you, I can't resist taking another photo every time I see one. I'm with the geese....I want my feet in the water :-) The Robins never go away here, but I don't see many in the winter.Those blackberries look so good! I've never heard of yellow watermelon...take photos of the inside when you cut one and I want to know how it tastes.

Margaret Cloud said...

I love Monarch, they are my favorite, only seen one in the yard this summer. When we lived out in the country we had a field of blackberries. Watermelon my very favorite summer food.