WOODYNOOK CREATIONS

Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Of deer, ducks, and birds

All these images except the first one were taken at home. This buck happened to raise his head for a picture as we drove home from a train watching day. Those antlers are covered with "velvet" Down on the creek trail I was just about to head back to the house when I heard a splashing noise in the water. This doe and fawn had come down for a drink. The flies were really bothering them, and the fawn kept jumping and kicking as it ran through the water.


Back at the house the House Sparrows are still at it. Feeding these big babies. They all are very capable of taking care of themselves.


I saw this Great Blue Heron too, so I felt excited that this one didn't fly away , and when he did move it wasn't very far from his original resting spot.



This says it all. "Don't take my picture!"


Shooting into the sun
This afternoon in the same area I saw these 2 immature female Wood ducks. They didn't fly away either, and I think they did see me.




Folks, it's another hot and humid day. According to the weather guys, 5 more days of the same in store. We're beginning to stack wood, but only work a short time during the morning when it is cooler. One thing, the sweet corn has been fabulous!

5 comments:

SAPhotographs (Joan) said...

Love the spiderweb Becky and that little fawn is just too cute. :) When I see littleones like this, I always want to bring them home with me. :) Even elephants!! :)

Arija said...

You swelter while we freeze. Love that young buck . . . he is just sooo handsome.
Our blue heron is so shy that if he hears the gate he takes off. Since there are two gates between two paddocks and the park, I usually only get to farewelling his tail feathers except when I go alone and sneak up on him.
Adore the doe and her baby.

Mary said...

The deer are so pretty! How special to get to see one with a fawn. Gorgeous heron! Seems like forever since I last saw one. Those sparrow babies are too plentiful. Why does the bird we like the least manage to raise the most babies?? Great ducks! I just saw immature wood ducks, too and didn't know what they were. You got closer shots of yours than I did.

Ruth's Photo Blog said...

Wow,you have lovely pictures of the deer and the Heron shots are super.I am SOOO ready for cooler temperatures,once again it is 30F.Yuk!
Blessings,Ruth

Margaret Cloud said...

I like your header and when I come here I know I will see a new one. Your pictures are great, like the ones of the deer. Don't get to over heated doing the wood pile. We are sticky here but we had rain this morning.