WOODYNOOK CREATIONS

Thursday, September 16, 2010

Home Today

On the drive home today we noticed that the leaves are turning! We saw many beautiful trees, but with the fast traffic around me, I couldn't take many pictures.
We drove through the famous ( at least it is in Pennsylvania) town of Punxsutawney. There, lives the little ground hog ( Woodchuck) Punxsutawney Phil. On the 2nd of February each year at sunrise, Phil is taken from his warm burrow and the town folks along with 1000's of onlookers and TV watchers all wait in anticipation to see whether Phil will see his shadow. If he does, the United States will have 6 more weeks of winter. If he doesn't, Spring will be early. Many towns around the United States have their own "Phil". Anyway in several places around the town are these statues of Phil and each is dressed different. This one is fashioned after a baker or chef, and
was in front of a bakery shop. They stand about 5 feet high.

Our return trip took us through Cook Forest, an 8,500 acre forest known for some of America's finest virgin white pine, and hemlock timber stands. A beautiful drive, and you will see lots of log cabins for campers, hikers, bikers, and canoeing. One time many years ago driving through this area we saw a bear cross the road, but of course no camera...

My first Monarch caterpillar, and as I type, it is in a big jar in my greenhouse. I'll keep everybody posted.
I really don't like Flies, but they are interesting to look at.

We had a wonderful time, but we're glad to be home too. There is still alot to do around here till winter shows up. I will try this week to get back visiting everyone's blogs. Thanks for being patient.

5 comments:

SAPhotographs (Joan) said...

I love just the tiny bit off fall color amongst the rest of the green trees.

Now I wonder, are you hoping Phil will see his shadow or not? :)

Cicero Sings said...

Glad you are home safe and sound. Looks like a beautiful drive. A few fall colors just starting to show here too.

Ruth's Photo Blog said...

The road leading through the woods is beautiful,as are some of those fall colors.
Blessings,Ruth

Margaret Cloud said...

It is always nice to be home, remember the saying="however humble, theirs no place". Glad you had a fun trip. When my oldest was young, and I don't know where he got so many, but he brought 21 small branches with Monarch caterpillars attached. We propped them up in the sun porch and watched them, it was such a surprise to see the process they go through. Have a nice weekend.

Mary said...

Your butterfly is a Viceroy...see the line across the bottom wings? What a beautiful drive! I love the Phil statue...that must be fun to see them. Good luck with the caterpillar!