WOODYNOOK CREATIONS

Monday, January 12, 2009

Early yesterday morning Azrael was on the prowl. By the looks of her, she has been under a pine tree, with snow on her head. Later after she left, the Blue Jays came out, and raided the suet.
I also had some peanuts for them, but I have to tell you what happened to the peanuts! The bag was on the dining room table and we had to leave for a while. During that time Tauqua our rescue dog got up on his hind legs and took the bag off the table and onto the floor. When we got home you wouldn't believe it. There were peanuts and shells all over the dining room floor! I smelled his breath, and he tried to blame the cat, but we know his tricks and lies, plus the cat was outside! LOL What a mess, and I didn't take a picture. I didn't think about it till it was cleaned up.
A Tree sparrow pecks at some seed on the ground.
Even the Juncos who are usual ground feeders, stop by for some peanut butter.
The sky cleared up around 3:00 and I couldn't believe how warm the sun was. The snow piles around the house are mounting. My greenhouse is on the far end( right) where you see a door. It used to be a front porch. We enclosed it with polycarbonate, and it makes the perfect place to raise Orchids. There is direct sun only for about 3-4 hours a day, and then that big Maple tree in the front yard lets in bright light, but no heat. A door opens into our living room, and this is also how we heat it during cold weather. Works perfect.

A very large flock of Canada geese flew over. I counted 71. Not easy to do. They were WAY up there.

This is what the area looked like on Saturday afternoon during that snow storm. This is a old farm house about a mile from us. The flakes were micro flakes, and made the air look foggy, but it was really snow. The visibility was horrible for a while.
Really cold air coming down from Canada by Tuesday. Time to get out the long johns! LOL

7 comments:

Kerri Farley said...

Brrrrr! Is this amount of snow normal for your area?
ALSO - do you do something special with the Peanut Butter - or do you just smear it on the tree??

EG CameraGirl said...

Funny story about the peanust and a photo would have been GREAT. Love it that so many birds are visiting your feeders!

You have a greenhouse?!! WOW!

Cicero Sings said...

Rascally dog! Peanuts isn't the first thing that would leap to mind as a snack favourite for dogs but why not? I can well imagine the mess.

I think you've got a cute little house there. Maybe I'll post one of ours in the snow too ... we'll see.

Ruth's Photo Blog said...

The story of your dog is priceless.I guess he was getting bored.Sorry if we send you cold temps.Hope you stay warm.
Blessings,Ruth

Mary said...

I love that bluejay shot! Perfect setting! So funny about the dog and the peanuts! What a sneaky thief :-) Neat to see where your greenhouse is. YOu sure raise beautiful orchids!

dot said...

I hope you don't get tired of hearing this but I always enjoy your pictures. I wish I could have my camera handy when the geese fly over but it doesn't happen often.

Anonymous said...

How funny about the peanuts. I keep mine in a basket on the floor, so I guess I'm lucky my dog doesn't like them.