WOODYNOOK CREATIONS

Sunday, January 25, 2009

Good Morning. Another cold night last night with below 0º temperatures. We got 3.5" of new snow too yesterday.
I couldn't post without a shot of a male Cardinal. I have so many this year. On Friday we took a drive to the Erie Peninsula again. It was such a nice day, and we all know they are few and far between in our area. These Gulls were standing on very thin icy water, and hopefully they keep moving lest they freeze in place.
At the Marina the boats are all sleeping some place safe for the winter. The Lake has open water yet so the chance of lake effect snow storms is still present.
Last week we had hoped to see 2 huge ore freighters come into the harbor, but they had gotten stuck in the ice before they reached Erie. A few days later a Coast Guard ice breaker came to their rescue, and now they are safe and sound till the spring shipping season. I took a few shots of these behemoths. You can't imaging the size.


I liked this ice on the stern. This ship must have seen some rough waters on it's way to Erie.
A shot of the full length of one of these ships. I couldn't get a clear view of it for all the trees, but it still gives you an idea of the mammoth size..
This is Misery Bay, and a favorite of the ice fishermen.
Have a wonderful day all, and above all stay safe and take lots of pictures.

6 comments:

me ann my camera said...

Great pictures of the lake freighters. And they are huge!! And the lake is so huge too! happy Sunday!

EG CameraGirl said...

The ships look HUGE to me! It sure has been a cold January, hasn't it. Environment Canada says it has been a full 2°C below normal, which translates into a lot of shivers and frozen fingers and toes.

Ruth's Photo Blog said...

Living on the prairies I don't see these ocean freighters.I am amazed at their size,and to think that they stay afloat on the water.I must comment on the Cardinal picture,so pretty a bird.Keep on posting their pics as that may be the only wayI get to see them.:)
Blessings,Ruth

Jan said...

Great photos of the birds and the freighters. You're right, the freighters are unbelievably huge. As for the ice fishermen, they always leave me scratching my head.

Mary said...

Great shots of the freighters...will have to show them to Mike. He'll enjoy them! I can remember seeing lots of huge ships on Lake Erie during all the vacations I spent up there, but it probably didn't really dawn on me how big they were or how unusual to see them....and I remember getting to ride on a tug boat once!

Anonymous said...

Becky, your photos of the lake, the big old freighter, the ice fisherman.....brrrr....it makes me shiver. You've captured the cold perfectly.