WOODYNOOK CREATIONS

Saturday, January 10, 2009

We are in the midst of another winter storm. Total from the past 3 days is 26". sigh According to the weather folks we will be getting more through out the week-end too.
There were so many birds on the feeders yesterday morning, and I had fun taking lots of them in flight. Mostly Pine Siskins, and Goldfinches.
A Pine Siskin in mid flight.
Later in the morning the snow stopped for a while, and we went out for some groceries.
This cemetery has a sidewalk in the front, but you would never know it by all the snow.

Plenty of heavy snow laden trees hanging on wires.

Some of the Amish use heavier power equipment to move snow.
Our front yard.
Passing a large field we saw this big hawk eating on a deer carcass. I'm not sure what hawk it is. It was so far away, and I didn't get a good close up.
Of course, last but not least Mr. Cooper's hawk in my back yard scaring away all the birds. No lunch for this bird.
Oh yes, I might add, the Burpee catalog arrived yesterday. Spring IS out there!

11 comments:

me ann my camera said...

Your title page is magical and full of beauty! I love it.

You might like the 'caboose' picture I have for skywatch on my other blog at:
gallimaufry gleaninga

Kerri Farley said...

I just can't imagine all of that snow on the ground! That last shot of the Hawk is an amazing capture! Well Done!!

Ruth's Photo Blog said...

Lots of snow and lots of birds.You captured some greatin flight pictures,that's hard to do,at least for me.I like the cemetery picture,pretty enough for a calendar.
Blessings,Ruth

Mary said...

Those are neat flight shots and I love the header....little spots of color in the winter air. You still have lots of snow, I see. I hope your roads are kept clear. The hawk and deer shot was a great catch. That's a neat Coopers! I had a hawk out here yesterday, but didn't get any photos. I can tell when the Downy freezes in position on the backside of a branch and the squirrels run and hide, there is something out there unfriendly.

Cicero Sings said...

Our yard has been so quiet where birds are concerned lately ...not sure why. Squirrel comes regularly and patrols the feeders ... chasing the birds when it can but the birds aren't usually fazed by squirrel other than momentarily.

Looks like a huge dump of snow all right!

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the visit.We don't usually have as much snow as we did this year I think it was 1990 the last time,but the melt has caused a lot of water to go where it does not belong.I really enjoy your blog.You seem to be having a lot is it normal or is it just this year?

Becky said...

Thanks everyone, and Betty, we usually get lots of snow out here. We are in the "snow belt" 25 miles off the southern shores of Lake Erie.It's not unusual to get 150" or more during a season, and we are at 130" right now.
Mary
The roads are cleared, but very slippery. It has been snowing steady since before dawn today, and the visibility is not good! It's really beautiful, but the truth is I'm tired of it already, and we have probably the toughest part to go through yet, and this is the COLD temps.

Michele said...

The snow looks so wet and heavy but there is lots of it, isn't there?
Your photos are beautiful.
Love the birds, they are so delightful to look at!
Keep warm!
((Hugs))
~Michele~

Anonymous said...

We have been getting snow all day here too. I can't complain because I know you always get the worst of it. I love your photos of birds in flight!

SAPhotographs (Joan) said...

Gosh Becky that is a lot of snow. I love that hawk but you birds in flight are excellent.

EG CameraGirl said...

Looks like the finches are invading your feeders just like they are mine. What a fabulous photo of the pine siskin!