WOODYNOOK CREATIONS

Wednesday, July 30, 2008

CORRY JUNCTION GREENWAY TRAIL

On another new walk we took, this one is only about 8 miles from home. Recently opened, it is not yet finished, but very walkable. On an old railroad bed. it goes for about 6 miles. The snowmobiles use it in the winter. One can just imagine seeing the old steam engines trundle through the woods on their way. You can still see remnants of coal on the ground, and wide areas next to where the tracks were that were used as a passing siding.


It had rained the night before, and there were lots of pretty leaves to photograph.
This old railroad bed once had concrete where the ties were.

Lots of mud puddles. This shadow caught my eye.
A Cabbage White Butterfly stopped for a second.
Bladder Campion
More concrete on the railroad bed. This was no doubt put in back in the 1800's
Can you find this tiny toad?
Guess what we found in this mud puddle? A Crayfish. From where I come from we called them crabs, and used them for fishing, but be careful you don't get pinched.

This guy was quite a ways from any other water. I'm not sure how he got here.
Common Mullein. The older folks call this Indian tobacco
Close-up of Mullein

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very nice. It was like walking the trail without the heat. LOL

me ann my camera said...

It loooks like a lovely place to walk. In my area a lot of the old railroad beds are now part of the Trans-Canada trail.

Mary said...

Looks great! Using old railroad beds is such a good idea. I'm so glad you identified that Mullein. I have seen some and didn't know what it was....before I could get pictures of it the road crew mowed it down. That crayfish looks big! I see the holes all the time, but never see the crayfish.

Becky said...

Mary
That litle Crayfish was only about 3" long. He appeared to be searching for a way to get out of that mud puddle.