WOODYNOOK CREATIONS

Friday, July 18, 2008

First, an up-date on the skunk/ raccoon issue. I haven't seen the skunk family in nearly a week. Although those little buggers are so cute, I'm just as glad they all decided to move on, and I really don't know where. The raccoons are still here, although I only saw one last night, and it was nosing around under my hanging feeder. That was at 3 o'clock this morning. They probably have other buffets that they visit.
We were going to Wal-Mart this morning and although it is very hazy, I took a bunch of pictures anyway. This is a field of wheat.
Right now it's 2PM, and the temperature is 91º. Way too hot for me.
I did some shopping at Wal-Mart and Gary waited in the van. You'll never guess why. The parking lot is raised, and provides a really good view of the railroad tracks. This is a General Electric locomotive in the front testing a CSX locomotive behind it in preparation for sale. Gary took this photo.
He also took this one of a Killdeer doing the "broken wing" act. I'm wondering if there was a nest near-by. Do they have more than one brood a year?
On the way home we drove by Findley Lake and I wanted you to see the Canada Geese that are all over everybody's lawns and docks. There are so many, I can just imagine all the goose poop!
We spotted this huge field of baled hay. I liked the colors of the sky too.

These birds look like they are sitting on top of a giant roll of shredded wheat.
A beautiful field of oats almost ready for harvest.

I WILL need help with this one. I found it on the Creek trail this afternoon. I have 2 books on Butterflies and Moths, and couldn't locate it in either of them..
for ID-ing this Moth as a Confused Haploa. Don't know why they are confused. LOL
Guess what we're having for supper? ? These are out of my garden Whoo-hoo! I've been waiting all winter for this.
We stopped on the way home and got some Blueberries. They are late in ripening this year, so we should be able to get more till the end of August.


I took many more pictures today and will continue this tomorrow.

4 comments:

Small City Scenes said...

Love your series of pics. Your countryside looks like the countryside out this way.
Do you think the moth you saw could be a Juba Skipper (hesperia juba)? MB

me ann my camera said...

Great photos as usual,Becky, and I find the fields of hay very beautiful. I think your brown and white spotted moth is a Confused Hapola Moth so you might want to google that name and see if you agree with me. Its kind of a neat name don't you think; Confused.

Mary said...

I love that little chipmunk in the header shot! Soooo cute! Very nice photo! The shots of the fields of baled hay are great....looks just like the midwest! I laughed at the shredded wheat comparison :-) Can't help you with the moth, but it is very pretty! Yummy looking blueberries...they are ripe here now, also.

Kerri Farley said...

Oh I love seeing the haybales. I would love to see a kildeer too!!!