WOODYNOOK CREATIONS

Sunday, November 9, 2008

Good Morning all. It's cold, wet, and dreary here this morning. The day will probably deteriorate throughout,and snow in on the way for tonight.
Continuing our search for beach glass, we tried another area. This one has tons of flat rocks all rounded by years of tumbling in the water. Lots of shapes.
Even a few wet leaves still with some color.
We came upon this huge rock(?). It does appear to be man made of rocks and concrete, but who knows. Anyway there it was all by itself right near the water's edge.
Plenty of driftwood around too.
Leaves riding on the water, not really going anyplace.
Here is one of the birds I was telling you about. We saw at least 10-15 of them laying on the beach. They appeared to be unharmed, and had not been there very long, as there was no decaying, and why this particular spot? Gary thought maybe they got caught in fisherman's nets, got thrown back in the water, and then washed ashore. I consulted my Sibley, and they look like young Common Loons, but I'll let you decide. Any help will be appreciated.
Here is another one. They do have large webbed feet, although I didn't get a good picture of that part.
Back on the previous days adventure at Barcelona Harbor, New York, is the Sea Lion. The Sea Lion is a Replica of a late 16th Century British Three-Masted,square rigged Sailing Ship. It was built in the same way they built ships in the 16th Century. It was a several years project, multi person project headed by Earnest Cowan of Mayville , New York. It was commissioned on Chautauqua Lake in 1985. Local residents, businesses, and foundations contributed most of the labor, materials and money for the Sea Lion. After a legal battle, the Ship was sold in 1992 to the Buffalo Maritime Society. It was taken on a journey from Chautauqua Lake to Barcelona, New York where it was towed to Buffalo, New York. It operated in Buffalo until it sank in 1999 in Lake Erie. Some super local divers headed By Sam Genco and other local people raised the ship in 2000. It was towed back to its new home in Barcelona New York.

More of those round rocks. I've not seen any rocks like this only around Lake Erie on the southern shores.
There were lots of little waterfalls in this area.
Plenty of Seagulls following us around looking for treats, and I didn't have any...
Small pieces of wood, and the ever presence of trash.
Gull footprints.
Hope I wasn't too wordy today, but sometimes I take so many pictures, I just have to share them with you all. Have a wonderful Sunday.

5 comments:

Ruth's Photo Blog said...

Interesting walk down the shoreline with you.Your narrative and pictures makes me feel like I'm right there sharing the moments.Thanks
Ruth

SAPhotographs (Joan) said...

Beautiful!! When I walk along a beach, I always look at the rocks and driftwood as they can be extremely interesting. What a pity about the birds!! Maybe they were caught in a storm somewhere too, who kmows.

Anonymous said...

Enjoyed the walk along the beach with you. Thanks for pointing things out along the way. It's sad about the birds.

After a sunny start to our day, it is now bitterly cold and dreary here too. I am quite happy that I have enough to keep me busy indoors.

dot said...

Another good post! I enjoyed all those pictures. I'd love to be able to sift through those small rocks and see what I could find. Strange about the birds.

EG CameraGirl said...

It looks like you a great time foraging for sea glass!

I love the worn rocks, rounded and flat, that line the Great Lakes. I can't resist taking a few home every time I visit the shore.