WOODYNOOK CREATIONS

Sunday, November 16, 2008

We went to town early yesterday morning, and some places the fog was so thick. This old house looked sort of cool with smoke filtering up into the fog. At one time this was a large farm with a big barn. About 3 years ago they tore down the barn :(, and would you believe it I didn't get a picture of it . There hasn't been any one living in this house for many years, when all of a sudden we see people there. I'm wondering how they will keep warn, because there had been lots of windows broken, and the foundation is crumbling. Maybe they fixed things. For sure they have a wood fire, but we don't see any wood piled any place around the house. Hmmm. We passed by Findley Lake and I'm always looking for the Tundra Swans, since I did see then there once. All I saw were lots of Hooded Mergansers, and tons of Canada Geese. Those little ducks are so cute!
They were quite far away, and as soon as we stopped they swam farther out in the lake.
As you can see it was a dreary day. Dark, damp, windy, and wet all day, AND the first day of deer season. I'm sure the hunters weren't too thrilled.
More dried weeds.
On my creek walk Thursday I noticed the water is coming up. After the 1 1/2" of rain we had last night it's covering some of the trail I walk.
Dried Teasel.
Woodpeckers have been here.
Dried Cow Parsnip seed head. I think it looks like a 4th of July sparkler.
I have a few Pansies that are still hanging on.
Have a wonderful day all, and stay warm. I'm actually writing this Saturday night. The temp. has fallen from 52º to 33º in 4 hours, and the wind has really picked up. We lost the power 5 different times around 11:30PM, and had to run the generator since there was wood in the stove. Finally restored around 1:30 AM we could all get back to sleep. Our son Steve, checked on the neighbors who burn wood to make sure they all knew the electric was out. Snowfall from last night was only 1/2", and the wind is still quite strong.

10 comments:

Mary said...

What a neat old house...too bad about the barn. I love big old houses, but would hate to have to keep one heated. My grandmother had the neatest old house. I wish I had taken photos when I was younger, even though they would not be very good. We've had quite a bit of rain, too and our pond is coming up some finally. Doesn't seem to have improved the level at the wetlands much, which surprised me. I's so thankful that we seldom lose our power...we have underground lines. Stay warm!

Anonymous said...

Becky, we had the howling winds last night too, and it was difficult to fall asleep. No snow here, but the temp is twenty degrees cooler this morning than yesterday.

Michele said...

Nice post. Not so nice about the power going out so often though. Gosh, that would be a little annoying. The weather sounds like it's taking a spiral downwards and a coldfront is heading your way. Perhaps some snow is on the horizon. If not, you are more than welcome to take some from our mountains! =)
Stay warm and stay safe!
~Michele~

Ruth's Photo Blog said...

Becky,your posts bring back so many memories from my earlier years,even in our frst years of marriage we depended on wood heat.I always look forward to reading what you have posted.The pictures are wonderful.I might add that I have a sister,Becky,what a coincidence.The deer season also reminds me of Dad goin out hunting in thw early morning hours.

Becky said...

Mary
That old house is all brick, and I'm sure has some sort of historical value, but has been in terrible condition for may years. My grandparents lived in a big old house too, and were the only residents till they passed away. My grandma had a big flour bin/ dish cabinet combo that I would just love to have now. Like you I never got any pictures of the inside.
After we went back to bed last night we lost the power again, but this time for only about 2 minutes. So much fun when you live in the country.
Jan
The wind has let up this morning, and it's snowing very lightly. We're supposed to get more today, but it will depend where the wind goes.
Michele
I guess I'll let you keep your snow as beautiful as it is. We'll be getting enough of our own soon enough.
Ruth
Thanks for the comments. Yes hunting season is here, and I have to be careful where I walk now with the woods so close. Our son Steve went out yesterday, but didn't get anything.

me ann my camera said...

I love the old house and your photo and mention of it. It must have been such a grand place in its day. And imagine, still a Pansy in bloom! The temperature this morning at 7:30 a.m. was 17 degrees C (62 F), its very mild and rainy and a good thing as we have shut off our furnace as the thermostat has to be replaced and we are without heat for the weekend, except for a electric heater.

It sounds much more wintery at your place.

Becky said...

Ann
Wow, you do have some warm temps. Good thing the thermostat decided to act up now instead of when it's gets colder. That old house is the only old one like it any where around here. The property next to it was a saw mill so many years ago, but I never knew who lived there. There are so many rooms, I can just imagine a large family, and by the size of the former barn, they must have had a lot of cattle.

Kerri Farley said...

Beautiful pictures! Hope you stay warm!!

dot said...

Beautiful series of pictures! I love the look of your dried weeds. I'd rather take pictures of the dried weeds than flowers in bloom.

SAPhotographs (Joan) said...

A wonderful variety in this blog Becky!!