WOODYNOOK CREATIONS

Saturday, November 15, 2008

Yesterday was a really busy day. We tackled a project we do once a year, and one we don't especially like to do. That is taking apart the 2 motors and blowers on the wood stove, cleaning and oiling them. It's a tedious job, and somebody has to do it. I have a cold, the first one I've had in over 2 years, I feel misrable, and I really didn't feel like working, but now it's done. We depend on these motors with their blowers to push the heat up from the cellar where we have the stove, and make sure we service them every year. This includes taking most of the wiring apart ( that's Gary's job ) , taking all the screws out, removing the motors from the blower housing, and air cleaning it all, and then oiling all the little places that need it. THEN it all has to be put back. It's about a 3-4 hour job for the 2 of us. In the meantime our daughter-in-law came over and cleaned out the stack for us. Now we're all ready for the snow that is on it's way for this week-end.
On my creek walk Thursday I came across some pretty neat lichen. And some ordinary looking moss.
These dried little things were cute.
Even some windswept grasses down by the water.
I discovered a very large rose bush that I hadn't seen before. This squiggly gaget was interesting, and get a load of those thorns!
Here are the rose hips from this bush, and there were lots of them. They are over an inch long. I will be looking for the flowers on this one next year.
Here is the kind of fungus I like to paint on. The underside of course, and it's the size of 1/2 a dinner plate.
Another smaller fungus, with those wild cucumbers in the background.
More moss.
These are kind of neat.
But I really like this one. Looks like a miniature forest.
I checked on my Lilacs and they have their buds for next spring.
I also spotted some ever bearing red Raspberries, that the ants were dining on. Must be the birds didn't get them all.
And last but not least some colored leaves on the Forsythia bush. For some reason they are hanging onto their leaves yet.
Have a wonderful week-end.

8 comments:

me ann my camera said...

Becky, I often stop and look at lichens and fungi this time of year also, and found some horse hooves on a birch tree the other day. Your photos are lovely. Perhaps I'll go on a lichen search for a November post. Thanks for the inspiration.

Anonymous said...

Its a rainy day here, but I heard snow showers mentioned in our forecast for the weekend.

Glad you have your wood stove ready for the months ahead. You definitely get the full force of winter in your area!

Mary said...

Those are lovely photos...obviously taken before the great furnace job :-) Now you will be toasty warm all winter. I like the interesting lichens, but never seem to find too many. I hope your cold gets better quickly. Our weather is finally rainy and there has been talk of snow, but it is much too warm at the moment.

Ruth's Photo Blog said...

Beautiful,interesting pictures.I love all the close-ups of the lichen.Such diversity.

Cicero Sings said...

Sorry to hear you are under the weather! Colds can be so miserable.

Your wood stove sounds like quite the process ... really makes you work for your warmth! Our is a tiny little one in the front room but boy does it put out the heat. We have a small fan on it that moves some of the warm air into the dining area ... one of those fans that run off of energy created by heat/cold. Works pretty good for our purposes and is maintenance free! We live on a crawl space so had to have the wood stove up stairs. D cleaned our stove pipe in the spring.

Lichens and mosses ARE so interesting ... another world.

Cicero Sings said...

Rather than a full basement, our house was built on a 4ft crawlspace (to get at the plumbing and wiring etc and also better than being on a cement slab for heating purposes and frost heave). I imagine it saves on building costs, doesn't need finishing and saves on putting a stairwell in (area wise). We get at ours through a trap door in one of the closets. Ours is 4ft high (some aren't so high) so we can move around down there crouched over ... it is all cement so we store stuff down there.

EG CameraGirl said...

You're still finding tons of beautiful photos on you walks.

What a job taking apart and putting back together the motors and blowers, but now you can plan on a cozy winter. ;-)

SAPhotographs (Joan) said...

Lichen and fungi can be most interesting and it seems as if these are the same as we have here Becky. Great post!!