WOODYNOOK CREATIONS

Sunday, November 23, 2008

Good Morning all. Right now the sun is out, and it is a beautiful bright sunny day. Now remember me saying this because we don't get that many nice days during the winter. I didn't get out to take many pictures yesterday. I did make some Hodge Podge soup ( my own concoction ). I just love homemade soup, and decided yesterday was the day. I looked in my freezer for soup bones, but couldn't find any. We drove to the little grocery/ meat market 5 miles from here and after I waited in line at the meat counter 6-7 minutes left with out any soup bones. They were so busy, and the weather was turning ugly, so we headed for home. At that point I thought I might as well make soup from all the left overs in the fridge. It turned out so delicious, who needed soup bones anyway. In it were 2 pieces of Swiss steak, with rice and peas, black beans and rice, cabbage, carrots, beef stroganof, spinach, 2 cut up small potatoes, 1 qt. of beef stock, and 1 qt. of home canned tomatoes. I simmered it about 3-4 hours, and what a treat !. Now my fridge looks better too.
Frost on the window this morning.
A few birds stop by for a snack.

Our fire in the wood stove is keeping us toasty on this 16ยบ F ( -6c) morning.
I can't get enough Mourning Doves. They are so gentle looking, although I have seen them fighting amongst themselves. Also they must have had such a good crop of youngsters this year, because I have many more than ever before.
I have so many Juncos this year.
By the way the Cooper's Hawk was here twice yesterday. One time he even landed on top of one of the feeders. I ran to get the camera, but scared him away. The next time he showed up he only stayed for a few seconds. Both times he left with out a meal.

6 comments:

Cicero Sings said...

I made soup yesterday too! Only I had frozen turkey broth in the freezer.

Ruth's Photo Blog said...

The soup sounds yummy.I like the frost pictures.I so enjoy coming to your site for a visit.Thanks.
Blessings,Ruth

Mary said...

The soup sounds pretty tasty and what a mixture! Like the frost photos. Your birds are happy, eveyone is well-fed, and your fire is warm...what more can you want on a cold snowy day? Hope you get the hawk's photo next time!

Fire runner said...

Yes growing up on that soup was great and still is today! I will have to try it soon! Our cat Dora must have beat the hawk as I found one in my wood shed. Stay warm, ZR2

Anonymous said...

Homemade soup is the best. You made me hungry just hearing about it.
Glad you had a sunny day. It seemed to warm up just a little bit here.

dot said...

Your pictures are always a treat! That soup sounds really good! I have an aunt who always cleaned the fridge like that and she called it refrigerator soup.